led headlights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

led headlights

Two LEDs placed properly in the bulb structure will mimic the 360 degree dispersion pattern of an OEM bulb very closely. When I switched to LED bulbs I test fit one side and left the OEM bulb in the other. The dispersal pattern of the two bulbs were identical. The horizontal upper cutt off point was the same. As I said previously, it is important to buy a quality bulb that places the LEDs properly.

I have been running LEDs for almost two years. I live in a congested area regarding traffic. I can't recall being flashed by oncoming traffic unless I left the high beams on by accident. There are many cars with LED lights in my area. OEM and otherwise. I don't find OEM or aftermarket bulbs annoying except for those using the ultra cool, very blue, bulbs. If I were getting flashed by oncoming traffic I would either find a better LED bulb or go back to OEM ones. I would like to find a set of quality LEDs that have a 5k temperature rating but haven't found any so far. I think 5k bulbs would provide better visibility. For some reason most are 6k-6.5k.

So what leds are you using

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So what leds are you using
I'm not sure. I would have to pull them from the vehicle and it is too cold here to mess with that. If you order from Amazon or a place that has easy returns you can check fitment to see if the LED are in the same location as the OEM filament. If they don't closely match then return them. If I ever find a suitable 5000K LED then I will buy a pair and try them out. I think this temperature would be better than the bluer versions.

They have engineered housings designed for LEDs, to better focus the light (are an LED array on a PCB, not a bulb form factor), but yes they are more blinding than incandescents, largely due to too cold a color temperature.
You seem to know a lot about lights, and have a 2nd Gen. I'm looking for a replacement/upgrade under say, $150. I don't think the factory headlights are anywhere bright enough to see! Will be replacing the outer housing which I did polish but still yellowish. What is a good replacement for the halogen setup. I don't want to blind people, but really need to see where I'm going!

You seem to know a lot about lights, and have a 2nd Gen. I'm looking for a replacement/upgrade under say, $150. I don't think the factory headlights are anywhere bright enough to see! Will be replacing the outer housing which I did polish but still yellowish. What is a good replacement for the halogen setup. I don't want to blind people, but really need to see where I'm going!
hi, I went with the AmeriLite Headlight assemblies through Amazon $89 for Both Sides . I used the OEM bulbs for hi and low beams, and the Amber-White Switchback for parking and turn signals.
The old units get oxydized on the Inside, and you can Never get them clear again. Also before installing, I applied several coats of Krylon Clear for Plastic on the lenses. Been doing that for years on any new lens. Keeps them like new a LONG LONG Time

I still run my originals so no 1st party experience with the aftermarket, but would get some that are CAPA certified if I did replace them.

If the alternative is to replace anyway, I'd try polishing a bit deeper first. That's what I did and after the first refinish, just touch them up with a polishing sealant (automotive paint wax type) product a couple times a year. I didn't want the very short lifespan of the brightest possible incan bulb (nor overly cold color temp) so used GE Nighthawk bulbs. Amazon product ASIN B000H2BPLY Think I put those in about 5 years ago, still working but I don't drive a lot of miles at night.

They were cheaper at the time, I'd not pay $18 for the slight brightness increase... I didn't think my factory setup was a problem, was bright enough for street legal speeds once the lenses were polished out.

(odd that my post keeps getting that big space in between two words in a sentence above, there's nothing special that's supposed to be embedded in the post there)

Look up "Headlight Revolution". That company has a great video you need to watch. Then, just pick out the ones you want to buy. They also state that LED's are illegal for street use. But when you get them delivered and get ready to install 'em, make sure you "clock" them correctly. Or else they can blind oncoming drivers. I like the "SR-1" versions myself.

Back