LED headlights | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED headlights

I run Morimoto aftermarket LED lights in my Raptor. Way brighter than stock HID headlights and the only time I blind anyone is if they are directly in line with my truck. At the same time they are $1300 headlights so you get what you pay for.
20220914_081126.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is laughable that anyone would say LEDs are less effective than halogen. Make your arguments against them in other regards because properly designed LEDs providing better vision at night than halogens is a ship that has already sailed. If they didn't then so many people wouldn't use them to include auto manufacturers.
Nobody stated they were less effective than halogen, but it really depends on what effect you are trying to achieve. Your effect seems to be supporting driving faster and blinding people to get there.

LED bulbs only provide better vision because the wattage of halogens was limited, deliberately, to... get ready for it... not blind fellow motorists. You want to argue the LED are better, for the exact reason the halogen aren't as bright, because it blinds people. The fact is, if it weren't for the housing being made of plastic, a small form factor bulb that's halogen can be much brighter because the bulb itself isn't so susceptible to overheating problems.

Yes, many people use the LED headlights to the point where it's becoming ridiculous to drive around them, and glaring enough that NHTSA finally allows for adaptive headlights, but we'll have to wait and see how effectively that's implemented in new model years. and you don't have adaptive headlights.

It is disrespectful to fellow motorists, when you can't see well enough to drive with legal, stock headlights, to swap in lights that make it harder for everyone else to see instead. Trying to throw in the auto manufacturers, is not the same. You want to believe your headlights are equally good but they are not, because they're in incandescent housings. You have not done the testing needed to know whether you are complying with DOT standards, merely implying it must magically be so. You want to insist the emission pattern of the LED is the same but this is impossible. Plenty of scientific sources back this up. It's not enough to just find a seller, biased in how they pimp their product, making misleading claims that they're not accountable for.

Let's consider an extreme version of your argument. If obeying the law is already out the window, why not just use massive arrays of light bars, strapped on everywhere you can fit them? I suspect you wouldn't do it only because then you'd get caught, but it aligns with your argument that it would be more effective for the driver's own night vision than just a couple of headlights.

This is why the laws exist, so people don't make the mistake of thinking it's as simple as more is better without having the testing to know what they really end up with. It's oversimplified to just state LEDs are better therefore it justifies doing whatever you want to with them. Same thing applies to halogen bulbs, that you shouldn't cut out the back of the housing, mount a ceramic socket to handle the heat, then run 200W halogen bulbs that also aren't the right geometry to work with the stock incan housing... except that with precise measurements to make the right spacer-adapter (and cooling fans to keep the housing from burning up), you could position a 200W halogen filament at the correct focal point for an incan housing, unlike any of the retrofit LED drop in bulbs. It would be superior light quality and beam pattern, but still illegal and still blinding other motorists.

Heh, here's an argument for you: Which is better for generating income? Working or robbing banks. Bank robbers would tell you that robbing banks is more effective (till something goes wrong), and they rationalize it being acceptable to do in their subjective situation, banks are insured so other people shouldn't mind the inconvenience, despite the fact that it isn't going to work well for society if everyone does it. It could be that there are reasons why it's illegal to rob banks, but let's just argue those away and do it anyway (because other people do it), as long as you won't get caught!

I run Morimoto aftermarket LED lights in my Raptor. Way brighter than stock HID headlights and the only time I blind anyone is if they are directly in line with my truck. At the same time they are $1300 headlights so you get what you pay for. View attachment 437213

Factory white 4300K HID to aftermarket blue 6500K LED is a downgrade, illegal and just plain stupid.

The smart thing to do would have been to increase the wattage on the factory HID's from 35w to 55w or add some auxiliary lighting.

Factory auto-leveling HID to aftermarket fixed LED is a downgrade, illegal and just plain stupid.
Auto leveling headlights was just approved for vehicles sold in the USA. Also, LED headlights aren't a downgrade from HID.

It is laughable that anyone would say LEDs are less effective than halogen. Make your arguments against them in other regards because properly designed LEDs providing better vision at night than halogens is a ship that has already sailed. If they didn't then so many people wouldn't use them to include auto manufacturers.
It's not the LED's themselves that are the problem, it's the color the auto manufactures have picked. 6500K is not the optimal color according to medical science. 6500K however is the cheapest thus highest profit margins to make. There is no remarkable cost difference in making different color HID's so they did listen to medical science when they picked 4300K for HID's.

6500K look like freaking arc welders and cause tons of glare for anyone over 30.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

LED headlights aren't a downgrade from HID.

Sorry but non-glaring white 4300K to glaring blue 6500K is a downgrade.

US really needs to pass a law to not allow anything over 5000K to be used on vehicles (or even any mass outdoor area lighting IMO).

It's not the LED's themselves that are the problem, it's the color the auto manufactures have picked. 6500K is not the optimal color according to medical science. 6500K however is the cheapest thus highest profit margins to make. There is no remarkable cost difference in making different color HID's so they did listen to medical science when they picked 4300K for HID's.

6500K look like freaking arc welders and cause tons of glare for anyone over 30.
IMO, it isn't so much the color as it is the lumens. I have seen very blue LEDs that don't bother me but they are not extremely bright and they mimic the OEM beam pattern. OTOH, I have seen very yellow lights that have been more irritating than blue lights. Also, I think 5500k-6000k should be the upper LED limit. I currently use 6000k and they have only a very, very slight tint of blue and in all practical terms they are white. I had 6500k LEDs first and they were to tinted blue for my taste and went with the 6000k LEDs which were much easier on the eyes. I tried to find 5500k LED headlights with no luck. The most important aspect to look for when buying LED headlights is to get ones where the LED placement is the same as the OEM bulb. Without this it doesn't matter what the temperature or lumen output is because they will blind oncoming traffic. Even a halogen bulb would do the same.

I said "auto leveling" to "fixed" is a downgrade but I'll also add that 4300K to 6500K is also a downgrade.

US really needs to pass a law to not allow anything over 5000K to be used on vehicles.
Going from 4300k to 6500k isn't a downgrade. The clarity is better for the driver with 6500k over 4300k. This is the main reason LEDs are so popular as an aftermarket option and in new vehicles.

As I said before, the government took the lazy way out and just banned LED headlights for aftermarket use. They made a policy that was doomed to fail and put a huge, unnecessary impossible burden on law enforcement to enforce this policy. There is absolutely no reason LED bubs can't replace halogen bulbs if the proper specs are set. They can provide specs for replacement LED headlights right along with producing the specs for new vehicle LED headlights. What has happened is the responsible LED headlight manufacturers have already done the work of our government and they do offer well designed, well functioning bulbs.

Factory auto-leveling HID to aftermarket fixed LED is a downgrade, illegal and just plain stupid.
Didn't have auto leveling headlights when my truck was made, let alone many cars before 2011. My lights have a perfect cut off like a shuttered HID. Oh and I got 3 LEDs per headlight, definitely not a downgrade from stock HID lol.

The clarity is better for the driver with 6500k over 4300k.
The hell it ain't, and there is scientific proof of this I will post later on.
I've driven rentals with that and can't see worth anything the glare is so bad. I can't imagine ever having to use 6500K in snow, that would be totally blinding. Selective yellow is actually the best for snow given the option.

Would I be correct in assuming that you are in your 20's? When you get older you will find that blue light waves cause tons of glare. I also have blue light sensitivity which makes it worse.
This is the main reason LEDs are so popular as an aftermarket option and in new vehicles.
LMAO! No it's not, it's because LED's are cheaper than HID's (it's all about profit margins). HID's are available in way more colors than LED's are. Just look on eBAY, you can get a HID bulb from 2700K to 15000K. Try finding that availability range with LED's.
My lights have a perfect cut off like a shuttered HID. Oh and I got 3 LEDs per headlight, definitely not a downgrade from stock HID lol.
and what is the color temp change? Factory HID are 4300K-5000K, most aftermarket LED's are 6000K-6500K so there is your downgrade.

and what is the color temp change? Factory HID are 4300K-5000K, most aftermarket LED's are 6000K-6500K so there is your downgrade.
The DRL is 5000k and the Headlights are 5500k. Like I said these are not cheap ebay lights. Morimoto makes some quality stuff.

The hell it ain't. I've driven rentals with that and can't see worth anything the glare is so bad. I can't imagine ever having to use 6500K in snow, that would be totally blinding. Selective yellow is actually the best for snow given the option.

Would I be correct in assuming that you are in your 20's? When you get older you will find that blue light waves cause tons of glare. I also have blue light sensitivity which makes it worse.

LMAO! No it's not, it's because LED's are cheaper than HID's (it's all about profit margins). HID's are available in way more colors than LED's are. Just look on eBAY, you can get a HID bulb from 2700K to 15000K. Try finding that availability range with LED's.

Obviously, based on your comments, you haven't used LED headlights.

Obviously, based on your comments, you haven't used LED headlights.
No I have never used illegal aftermarket LED retrofits or fixtures. I have however driven vehicles with factory 6000K LED's and they're horrible to my eyes. The ones with factory HID's have been a lot better, probably because they're 4300K.

No I have never used illegal aftermarket LED retrofits or fixtures. I have however driven vehicles with factory LED's and they're horrible to my eyes. The ones with factory HID's have been a lot better.
Then it might not be good to comment like you do have personal experience using them.

Then it might not be good to comment like you do have personal experience using them.
Using them would be a subjective opinion anyway. I've looked at the quantitative data that is created with scientific instruments and it shows that blue 6000K/6500K LED's to be inferior.

Either way, modifying the OEM headlights is illegal, whether that be by installing a high wattage "off-road" halogen, installing a HID retrofit, or installing a LED retrofit. All illegal. Even the 9006 > 9012 / 9005 > 9011 retrofit I recommended is technically illegal.

Using them would be a subjective opinion anyway. I've looked at the quantitative data that is created with scientific instruments and it shows aftermarket LED's to be inferior.

Either way, modifying the OEM headlights is illegal, whether that be by installing a high wattage "off-road" halogen, installing a HID retrofit, or installing a LED retrofit. All illegal. Even the 9006 > 9012 / 9005 > 9011 retrofit I recommended is technically illegal.
As admitted, you have no personal experience with LED headlights. You have to rely on what others say. I do not. For every article you reference saying LEDs are not as effective as halogen lights I can reference multiple times more that say the opposite. Your position on this isn't reflecting the real world experiences of millions of LED headlight users. If they didn't deliver better performance than halogen bulbs then they wouldn't be so popular. Also, if using properly designed LED headlights were such a hazard then law enforcement would be writing tickets by the millions regarding their use. My guess is they stop those who don't bother to buy proper bulbs or headlight housings and let those that do use them without penalty.

As admitted, you have no personal experience with LED headlights.
My personal experience is that of a victim of being blinded by glaring blue LED lights every time I leave the house at night. I'm referring to the color not the aim. I am less blinded by someone running their halogen high beams than low beam 6500K LED's and there is a known science based reason for this. Blue light does not constrict the pupil of the human eye the way that yellow tinted light does!

My personal experience is that of a victim of being blinded by LED lights every time I leave the house at night and I'm at Explorer height. I'd hate to see how bad it is in a low car.

No I don't, "Say" is subjective. I rely on scientific data.

Show me a beamsetter test that shows the same beam pattern for the halogen it's designed for and a LED retrofit in the same fixture, then I'll believe it's possible.
Yet I never get flashed for having too bright low beam headlights. Never. Scientific data doesn't exclude the use of LED headlights. They are already in use in numerous vehicles. As for beam patterns, YouTube is rife with videos covering this topic and showing LED replacement bulbs having the same beam patterns between halogen and LED bulbs that are properly designed. There are also plenty of YouTube videos showing how poorly designed bulbs project bad beam patterns. Lastly I don't buy that your are blinded by LED lights every time you leave the house. I live in a population dense area and am not blinded by LED lights in the evening every time I leave the house. In fact, it is quite rare that I get blinded by LED lights.

Does your vehicle have fog lights? If yes install some selective yellow bulbs in them and use them in the rain.

These are the ones I recommend for the Explorer's that have fogs (I wish mine did).
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Optilux-H71071112-Xenon-Yellow-Halogen/dp/B002E2SJAA/

Exactly, and that's why factory HID's are 4300K. 4300K was determined to be the best color for optimal vision for the human eye.
The 2020 and up have led fogs the same color as the headlights. With all the rain in the list couple weeks. When driving at night the light just gets defused and doesn't project enough but rather gets absorbed by the water.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suppose what they really need is a standard for maximum allowable blue light emission, in addition to cutting off funds to regions whose police departments don't "feel" like ticketing people for illegal retrofit lights. It's not even significant whether it's determined that they're blinding, merely to use LED retrofit lights on public roads. Next, go after amazon and ebay for selling them.

Back