• Register Today It's free!

LED Install Wiring Question

stkline81

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V6 OHV
I'm planning on installing LEDs in the overhead console area. How would I wire them in? I know what the obvious red & black wires are for - what is the green wire used for & how would I wire into it?

overheadconsole.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what is that plug for? did you remove the sunroof switch?

I would doubt black is ground. run a continuity check first to see if it is, then check the voltage to the red, then wire in your led's

*edit* oh wait those are the light wires! DOH!

one is probably switched with the doors, or possibly one light and the other, I bet green is 12V+

I found somewhere else that the red & green are both positive. I guess I'll wire in an led to each and play with the lights until I find something that works.

If I wire the LED into these wires I wonder if the buttons for each individual light will still function or if the light will only come on when the door is open.

The black wire is for the ground, and red/green wires are the positive. I can't remember which positive wire goes to which map light but each red/green wire connects to one of the map lights on the console. Check it with a voltmeter and see.

Back