LED rear turn signal bulbs??? Help needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED rear turn signal bulbs??? Help needed

mattscherrygt

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
N/A
Hey all,

I just purchased "Redline" model number 3156 (I believe..don't have them with me right now) LED bulbs which were supposed to be direct replacement for the stock rear turn signal bulbs in my '97 Explorer. To make the story short, the bulbs worked fine when my four-ways are on, but when I put either turn signal on, the flash was extremely fast, EXACTLY as if the bulb would be broken or something (as if your stock bulb would burn out, then cause your turn signal to flash faster). Anyways, I can't figure out why this is happening. Again, the four ways work great (meaning, regular flash pattern and speed), but when either turn signal is put on, the flash gets too fast. I tried putting the stock bulbs back in, and the flash resumes to normal speed, so the problem definitely is limited to the LED... Oh yeah, I have the LED's in correctly too, as there is only one way to put them in (the other way they won't even function at all)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks a lot all.

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to add a load resistor.

huskyfan23 said:
You need to add a load resistor.

Thanks for your response. Are you sure this will work, or is it an assumption? Where can I get one/ how much? Thanks for your help once again. Take it easy.

Matt

Yes, I'm positive. There are other threads about it, run a search. I'm not sure what ohm rating you need. You can get them at Radio Shack.

huskyfan23 said:
Yes, I'm positive. There are other threads about it, run a search. I'm not sure what ohm rating you need. You can get them at Radio Shack.

Thanks a lot man. I was just thinking of taking them back, but I will check into this first. I really want the LED look, so it will be worth it. Any other info would be great from any others with specifics, but thanks again Husky.

Matt

I just let mine flash fast. I like it better that way and I think it's more noticable

Back