LED Reverse Light Upgrade | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Reverse Light Upgrade

i just noticed that the OP bought these bulb for a SPORT ..... i went ahead and bought them too, but i have an XLT .... are these gonna fit mine ?.... :( ... (daaang, i hate it when i dont read the WHOLE post ... )

Check the bulb listing in the manual, the bulbs you order will replace
bulb type W21W, if any other bulb is listed as your reversing bulb then
they will not fit.

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 Ltd and it worked. Thxs Harley#356.
photo-6_zps1f6bb659.jpg

that's strange. Is it a 2011 vs 2013 thing? It doesn't make a lot of sense to have a different bulb just in the sports, but I can see them changing it totally for all of 2013 for whatever the reason.
The changeover began with the 2012 models. The 2011 use the PS19W bulb, the 2012 uses either PS19W or the W21W and the 2013 uses W21W. The 2012 also has two different numbers for the turn signal, PSY19W and/or WY21W. Therefore if you have a 2012, you should check the bulb before ordering a replacement.

Peter

THANKS HEAPS Brian ...... :) :) .... looked it up, and yup, it says to replace with bulb type W21W ......

(then again, with my luck, they still probably wont fit ..... )

Thanks for your help ..

The changeover began with the 2012 models. The 2011 use the PS19W bulb, the 2012 uses either PS19W or the W21W and the 2013 uses W21W. The 2012 also has two different numbers for the turn signal, PSY19W and/or WY21W. Therefore if you have a 2012, you should check the bulb before ordering a replacement.

Peter

This blows....I should receive mine soon in the mail, I didn't realize there was a different bulb for the seemingly same light.....Oh Ford.... should have done my homework I guess. Anybody with a 2011-2012 LTD that wants these? PM me. Thx

This upgrade really looks good. Tried them out a few minutes ago and it looks like some of those reverse lights on a Cadillac.

No problem guys. Didn't realize about the year difference, who would have thought Ford would have changed bulbs on the same exact taillights between years lol.

but what I'm saying is I got four of the exact same bulbs in the box....

was that a shipping mistake ?

I was just expecting a pair, where would the other pair go ?

You hit the jackpot....sell the other pair and you have a free mod! lol

SOOO much info holy smokes... anyone have a link to a good seller on eBay for a set of 2013 Sport reverse LEDs ? Thanks!!

Where you located ?

seems I have an extra set :)

(actually two as the wife doesn't want them on 'her' car :) )

Harley can you help out? For the life of me I can not get the front turn signal out of the light assembly. Did you remove the light assembly ?

I removed the 10mm bolt and unclipped the rearward part from the fender, then I could pull the light about 1/8"-1/4" forward just enough to get the bulb out. It was very tight, had to be just right. Also had to take out the two 8mm bolts and the hood bump stop on each side.

Some good info about these Cree LED's, been wondering if they are worth the price.

Peter

Im about to order bulbs for this and I'm looking in the manual and both are listed for my 2012 LTD. So does that mean I could use either of them you think or is there an easier way to figure out which to use? Sorry about this dumb question but I am just getting into this modding thing... I got the bug starting.

Im about to order bulbs for this and I'm looking in the manual and both are listed for my 2012 LTD. So does that mean I could use either of them you think or is there an easier way to figure out which to use? Sorry about this dumb question but I am just getting into this modding thing... I got the bug starting.
I think that the only way to find out which one you actually have is to take the bulb out and check it. It seems like a fairly easy procedure according to a post above.
You're going to have to do it anyway, eventually. Not sure why Ford decide to change bulbs midway through a model year.

Peter

Hey, I have a set of the new bulbs that the 2012 use. It truly is super simple to pop out the rear lights. Just check them out. I'll get them to you cheaper than anywhere on eBay as I have no use for them. PM me if you're interested.

NICE UPGRADE HARLEY! It's amazing what a difference a simple LED can do to the look and functionality on a car.

DAYTIMEBLites-BannerAd_zpse6e8834b.gif

Hey, I have a set of the new bulbs that the 2012 use. It truly is super simple to pop out the rear lights. Just check them out. I'll get them to you cheaper than anywhere on eBay as I have no use for them. PM me if you're interested.

I already ordered them from eBay and they are being delivered today I believe. But if they end up being to wrong ones ill deffinatly let you know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would anyone with a 2012 or 2011 Explorer that used the PS19W bulb be able to direct me to where you got your bulb. Ive been looking for one but I can only find ones that are shipping from the UK and I just wanted to see what else is out there that works.

Oh and CDN_Explorer I sent you a PM about your lights

Back