LED turn signal how-to (front & rear) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED turn signal how-to (front & rear)

I just wanted to post my experiences with the rear turn signal. I had tried using 12-LED signals in the back like what Harley had done in the 1st post. They were too dim like he said in his update. But instead of going with CREEs and the focused dot light, I wanted to keep the diffused look, so I tried bigger bulbs with more LEDs. I got ones with 27 LEDs on each like the fronts. Unfortunately, those appear too dim as well. So unless they make bulbs with 50+ LEDs, I think the CREEs provide the best brightness. I'm using red LEDs btw.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to add that I replaced my rear turn signals with the red CREE LEDs that Harley linked and they work perfectly; no hyperflashing and no need for load resistors.

I also installed white CREEs of the same design to replace the backup lights and they're a huge improvement as well.

Just wanted to add that I replaced my rear turn signals with the red CREE LEDs that Harley linked and they work perfectly; no hyperflashing and no need for load resistors.

I also installed white CREEs of the same design to replace the backup lights and they're a huge improvement as well.

Hey, will your LED turn on even if your car is locked? I got a pair of amber one but the LED are on even if i lock the car. Thanks

Hey, will your LED turn on even if your car is locked? I got a pair of amber one but the LED are on even if i lock the car. Thanks

No mine turn off completely. Sounds like something wired wrong - check the wiring with a voltmeter and assuming it is above 0 (otherwise the LEDs wouldn't turn on) take it in to your local garage and tell them to fix it.

UPDATE: Looks like I may have spoken too soon - they seem to hyperflash sometimes, randomly and intermittently, usually when the blinker is on for a while like when waiting at lights. eg tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock ticktocktick tock tick tock ticktocktick tock tick tock tick tock ticktockticktock tick tock tick...

hmmm good to know. Never unplugged the resistors I wired in, guess I'll leave them in. That would drive me nuts having a random blinker pattern lol

hmmm good to know. Never unplugged the resistors I wired in, guess I'll leave them in. That would drive me nuts having a random blinker pattern lol
Where I live you can get a ticket for having a to fast blinking I think or just cop tear your butt up atleast ... But anyway just make sure it's legal for you to switch out the yellow for red bulbs because in New Jersey they can you give you a ticket for it ... Trust me

Where I live you can get a ticket for having a to fast blinking I think or just cop tear your butt up atleast ... But anyway just make sure it's legal for you to switch out the yellow for red bulbs because in New Jersey they can you give you a ticket for it ... Trust me

I don't care about the ticket, it would drive me nuts having my flashers going too fast, or going random fast to slow. lol

And they can't give you a ticket for changing your amber turn signals for red in the rear, either are legal, otherwise my Raptor and my Harley truck were built illegally by Ford because both have rear turn signals red bone stock lol.

It's easy to do the mod on the rears though.

Hey Harley, while you had the taillight off, did you happen to notice if there was a way to get between the brake light LED ring and the outermost glass?

Harley- Would it have been possible to just change out the turn signal / hazard fasher relay that are compatible for LEDs and non LEDs, instead of adding resistors? They claim to eliminate the need for resistors.

Just wondering before doing the LED turn swap. Thanks

Using the Cree LED lights that Harley suggested do not require the use of resistors. I used the LED lights he recommended and they work great with no issues of hyperflash.

UPDATE: Looks like I may have spoken too soon - they seem to hyperflash sometimes, randomly and intermittently, usually when the blinker is on for a while like when waiting at lights. eg tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock ticktocktick tock tick tock ticktocktick tock tick tock tick tock ticktockticktock tick tock tick...

TF says he used the Crees that Harley used and is getting hyper-flashing.

Just trying to eliminate a problem that some have and some don't.The flasher seems like a quicker fix than resistors.

Does anybody know if we do have the flasher relay, or is it part of the computer, can't find it in the owners manual ?

TF says he used the Crees that Harley used and is getting hyper-flashing.

Just trying to eliminate a problem that some have and some don't.The flasher seems like a quicker fix than resistors.

Does anybody know if we do have the flasher relay, or is it part of the computer, can't find it in the owners manual ?
Sorry I should have updated sooner, my hyperflashing issue magically fixed itself. I haven't fitted any resistors or even reseated the bulbs and now they work perfectly.

Sorry I should have updated sooner, my hyperflashing issue magically fixed itself. I haven't fitted any resistors or even reseated the bulbs and now they work perfectly.

Sounds good TF, I like those fix themselvers.

Still trying to find out if we have the flasher relay or if the turns are part of the computer

Thanks for the updated info.

Hey Harley, while you had the taillight off, did you happen to notice if there was a way to get between the brake light LED ring and the outermost glass?

all that's on the back of the light assy is the ports for the bulbs that are 1/4 twist secured. If you want to get to the plastic lense from the back side you'll have to bake the light. what are you trying to do?

Harley- Would it have been possible to just change out the turn signal / hazard fasher relay that are compatible for LEDs and non LEDs, instead of adding resistors? They claim to eliminate the need for resistors.

Just wondering before doing the LED turn swap. Thanks

I'm not sure if the explorer uses flasher relays or if it's all computer controlled. Since I can't hear any clicking with the turn signal on, and it's a computer beep noise, I'm going to lean towards it being computer controlled, especially when the turn signal is on and you get a screen warning for something else (door open, or whatever) the flasher noise goes away but the blinker is still going, so I think it's computer controlled.

I'd just get the ones I recommended, seems like guys aren't having issues with those with hyperflash, but if you do end up having the problem, just get 2 resistors, they're easy to install, and a permanent fix.

all that's on the back of the light assy is the ports for the bulbs that are 1/4 twist secured. If you want to get to the plastic lense from the back side you'll have to bake the light. what are you trying to do?

Yea thats what I thought. I may end up baking the lights then, as I'll be doin to my headlights too. For the tailights, I'd like to make it so you cant see individual leds. I think that looks tacky. Ford dropped the ball in realizing the value that consumers are placing on lighting nowadays. Audi led the way, most other companies have checked in. Not Ford. I mean, not even an HID *option* for a 40k+ car... really?!. If I could give the tailights a look like the new Durangos, thats what I'd like to do. But almost anything would be an improvement IMO. Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure if the explorer uses flasher relays or if it's all computer controlled. Since I can't hear any clicking with the turn signal on, and it's a computer beep noise, I'm going to lean towards it being computer controlled, especially when the turn signal is on and you get a screen warning for something else (door open, or whatever) the flasher noise goes away but the blinker is still going, so I think it's computer controlled.

I'd just get the ones I recommended, seems like guys aren't having issues with those with hyperflash, but if you do end up having the problem, just get 2 resistors, they're easy to install, and a permanent fix.

Thanks for the reply Harley

Sounds good TF, I like those fix themselvers.

Still trying to find out if we have the flasher relay or if the turns are part of the computer

Thanks for the updated info.

Good question. I'm no electronics expert but the sound the flashers make when they're on doesn't sound like a relay to me. I haven't had a look in the fuse box but my guess would be that it's controlled by the computer and the clicking sound is generated to match. Perhaps it has some sort of ability to learn which is why mine have stopped hyperflashing?

Good question. I'm no electronics expert but the sound the flashers make when they're on doesn't sound like a relay to me. I haven't had a look in the fuse box but my guess would be that it's controlled by the computer and the clicking sound is generated to match. Perhaps it has some sort of ability to learn which is why mine have stopped hyperflashing?

TF- In the engine compartment fuse box,take the cover off, turn your hazards on and you will hear the clicking from 2 relays that are side by side ( wifey has the Ex so I don't have numbers} just feel for them , you will be able to tell the 2 that are clicking.

I removed the 2, the clicking in the engine compartment went away but the flashers kept flashing.

Inside it does sound computer generated.

Anyway, I'm getting the LEDs and go from there. Thanks for responding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just completed this mod with red cree leds as well. I ordered the ones linked and the seller sent me a free upgraded 25 watt setup. This is nice since it draws the same wattage as the stock incandescent bulb would have therefore no worries with hyperflash at all. It also should be a bit brighter as well. They do sell the 25 watt red 7440 leds on ebay for $40, i ended up getting mine for $20 due to the free upgrade provided by the seller.

Link here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290784945970?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Back