Left Hand (Drivers Side) Blend Door Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Left Hand (Drivers Side) Blend Door Replacement

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
Anyone know where there's a video or how to on the left side blend door replacement? I did see this thread and Sheltonfilms' comments. I tried to snap a couple pics with my phone, but didn't get anything that seemed to capture the actuator. I didn't feel like contorting myself into that space this morning, but will try again later.

I did see in the TSB information where Ford says that the alignment feature from the new actuator needs to be removed. Is that the case? I didn't see any references to that in a right side replacement video I reviewed.

Of course, after 4.5 years and 90,000 miles, mine decides it's time to fail right as temps are dropping and it's blasting out cold air! I'm just glad it failed now, and not in the middle of winter.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, mine just failed too! Did you figure out where this is located and what is required to replace it?

I needed to do an oil change and took the opportunity to look up under the dash while the Explorer was up on the ramps. It was just enough height that I didn't need to contort myself. I tried to get a photo, but wasn't able to get a clear one.

The left side actuator should not be too hard to unscrew if you have a 90 degree ratcheting nutdriver. The hex heads are exposed, but there is not a lot of room to work in there.

While this is something I'd normally do, given where the thing is at, and that I have an appointment to get the power steering looked at (again) on Tuesday, I think I'll just let the dealership do it. Maybe they have a guy with really small hands who can reach up in there and swap it out. It would be a bear for me.

The part for your vehicle could depend on the year and build date. Mine is an early 2011 build, and Ford Parts says it is a different part number than others.

Edit - as I looked at it again, I'm wondering if just taking off the left lower fascia will provide easy access to the actuator. I see a couple screws on the bottom of the plastic and then maybe the whole panel unsnaps? Will take another look this evening.

Thanks for looking at this! I have an early 2011 model as well.

Would love to know the exact part number if you figure it out.

BTW, is your windshield defrost coming out cold on the drivers side too?

I checked with the dealership. They want $250+ to replace it. Uh, no.

I'll be purchasing the actuator tonight and pulling the panel loose tonight to see what kind of access that will provide.

Please take some pics if you can. Thanks!

Picked up the actuator at the dealership last night. They have their own "internet pricing" for $24 and change plus tax. The list price was $32 or so.

To be clear, I have the dual climate control on my XLT. The part number is different for single zone systems.

I took a quick look last night and removed the center lower valance. It's just two screws and carefully pull straight back. I also removed the metal plate behind it, which was 4 screws. It looks like it will give a little better access to the actuator.

I will probably replace it this evening if I have time. I'll take pictures then.

OK. So I just replaced the driver's side lower blend door actuator. For my April 2011 build Explorer, it is part YH-1779, AA5Z-19E616-C

Sorry, but it was dark and none of the pics turned out well enough to see anything. But without pics - here's what I did.

Remove the two screws on the lower valance under the steering wheel. 7mm head. Then gently pull the lower corners of the valance toward the back of the car. They are held in by push fasteners. Then do the same for the top corners.

Remove the metal plate under the valance. Four 8mm head screws, one near each corner. Remove the two screws holding in the actuator top right and middle left side. You'll find it on the side of the console. I used a 1/4 drive handle. Play with the combination of socket and extension lengths and you'll find one that works to clear the wires and other parts and line up square on the screws so you can remove them. I ultimately used a deep socket with no extension on the handle. I used the one that looks like a screw driver handle, not the ratchet.

The old actuator should easily pull out. I did disassemble it so I could use the shaft to rotate the blend door to a position that would line up with the shaft position of the new actuator. There is a worm gear drive inside the actuator, so don't try to turn the shaft. It is keyed so it will only fit in one way. The shaft in the blend door was moving freely, and it's seemed to be spring loaded. So after I rotated it, it would rotate back and the alignment would be off. I had to rotate the door clockwise all the way, then align the new actuator and push it in. I was able to rotate it a little each way until it keyed properly. There is a plastic pin the actuator aligns with at the bottom right corner of the actuator housing.

Be prepared to do it a couple times as it didn't work the first time for me. A little patience (and some swearing!) and it fit on.

Then put the screws back in. I used a little of that putty you can hang paper on the wall with to stick the screws to the socket so they wouldn't fall out as I was putting them in.

I plugged the new actuator back in before I attached it, but you can do it after, if you like.

All in all, it took about an hour - and I saved $250 at the dealer for the job.

Thanks for posting this!

Any idea why this part failed in the first place? Motor? Gears?

Thanks for posting this!

Any idea why this part failed in the first place? Motor? Gears?

Nope. No idea. As I mentioned, I did take the unit apart to harvest the gear and rotate the blend door. Nothing was apparent. It could have been the little PC board inside.

This was a part that was covered under a TSB early on. Mine waited til now to fail.

The replacement did fix the problem. Before I was getting these blasts of hot then cold air. Replaced it and now everything is back to normal.

I'm just happy it was this easy. The dealer wanted $250 to replace it. I'll pocket that gladly.

I just had my left side blend door actuator replaced on my 2011 Explorer XLT dual climate system at the tone of $602 at Ford AutoNation. I had cold air all the time coming out of passenger side vents and controlled warm air on the driver side. Prior to taking it to AutoNation I replaced the passenger side actuator. Easy 15 minute fix. My question is how many blend door actuators are there in this Explorer?

Welcome to the Forum Jon.:wave:
2011_explorer_componentviews_11.png

And if you have the rear unit.
2011_explorer_componentviews_12.png

Welcome to the Forum Jon.:wave:
2011_explorer_componentviews_11.png

And if you have the rear unit.
2011_explorer_componentviews_12.png
Peterk9 - I Gotta Say My Man...... You REALLY Know Your Shiete!!!!!!
I ALWAYS pay attention when your replying or commenting on any thread I see...
I Appreciate your attention to detail...
Thanks Again,
Cole

Back