Left rear passenger inside door handle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Left rear passenger inside door handle

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Okay guys, the left rear passenger door handle on the Explorer has stopped working. You can pull it but it doesnt seem to catch any of the locking mechanism. Whats involved in switching out the handle?

Kinda surprised me that this was the door handle that went. Wouldnt you think if one were going to fail it would be the drivers door? Not the seldom used left rear passenger...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you have the child safety locks on?

Do search

Do the search. Both rear doors on mine went out in the beginning of the year. It takes about 5 minutes.

Remove the door panel like you would for changing speakers. Two screws and a foam pad. Thats it. Do remember to install the little plastic covers again I had to go back and redo mine because I forgot to both times.

maybe the angle part just dislodged. this happened in my tercel after I locked my keys in the car and campus security got the door open with a slim jim....

My exact same handle broke on my '96 too! #%$@%^ I disected it and it ended up being a little plastic bezel in the handle broke off. Bad molding I guess. Where are you ordering yours from Stephen??

Door Handles

I went to the Dealership Parts Department and got mine. About $8 Bucks. Unless its a high dollar item I always get it from the Dealership. They have most everything in stock and the price is about the same. Of course then I can fix it in the parking lot. Not wait a week for the mail.

Broken inside door handle, rear doors.

I have a 96 and the rear door handles do not work well at all. One has just stopped working and it is sticking out too far. I had the other one replaced by the dealer when I got it, same problem again but just the other side. Is there any simple fix that anyone has had because it sucks to have to let the backseat passengers out from the outside. I know I can get a new one but has anyone else fixed it a different way that may work and not break again in the future. Thanks all.

What a coincidence!!!!! not a good one though

I didn't even read down yet, I guess you can tell me what you did and how much it costs. It is frustrating though I know that much. The one that the dealer fixed for me works now but you really have to pull it all the way out. Maybe I'll see if the linkage can be adjusted, let me know how it works out.

Alto, Regardless of the part I always try to give Torrie the business. Its a way of one businessman helping out another.

Thanks guys, I'll let everyone know when it comes in.

Nevermind, I used the search feature and found out how to do this- GREAT!

I realize this thread is a few months old but my inside rear door handle went out too. I tried to take the door apart tonight but realized I don't know how to do that so I stopped and decided to consult with you experts.
I removed the two screws under the grab handle and slid off the armrest part with the ashtray and window switch. That let me look down inside but I don't know how to proceed any farther to get the main section of panel off. How is it fastened? Anything else I should know to get into the handle linkage mechanism? Thanks

Jason

mine did the same and after taking the door panel off. Not easy because it's fastened with two screws and a ton a clips and push retainers. Once off I realized that the handle was broke. I think some idiot wanted to get out faster than I could unlock the doors. Going to be a new handle.

My handle is sticking out from the regular position. i reset it when I had the door panel off but if you pulled it it just poped over the connecting rod and didn't open the door.

Door handles broken

My door handle in the backseat broke as well and upon inspection I found that the mechanism is made of a somewhat flimsy metal that broke and wouldn't allow the handle to "catch" and thus cause the door to open.

I fixed it by using a small piece of metal that I adhered to the handle with JB-weld. It was just a matter of studying how the handle should work and glueing in a new piece for the handle to catch on using a metal that would be less apt to break and a glue that would be more permanent.

That was about a year ago and it has worked well since then. The fix cost about 25cents and took about 30 minutes. Not too bad I guess.

Good luck!

I replaced my handle mechanism yesterday. One of the plastic ridges inside the mechanism had sheared off, allowing the handle to pull out but then get hung up when it tried to return to the closed position. Had to replace it, cost me $13.

Jason

Jason
Where did you get one. I've been too lazy to call the junk yard. $13 isn't bad.

Local ford dealer had 2 in stock... imagine that, a place that has the part I need when I want it.

Back