Rear inside door handle broken | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear inside door handle broken

JasonF

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4x4 4.0
On my 96 XLT, the rear inside door handle seems to be disconnected from latch mechanism. It only returns to within 15 degrees of where it is supposed to be. I can pull it as if opening the door and it travels to the end and still has the spring back if you let go of it, but its not moving any linkages inside the door. The outside handle and lock still work fine. No its not the child lock. Anyone had this happen? How hard is it to take the door apart and fix this? Thank you.

Jason Fine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a 97 and both inside rear handles didn't work. First thing to do is squirt a lot of thin oil into the door latch mech. Gently work the handle about 30 times. It will start working then or it won't. The greese washes out of the latches from power washing probably. On my doors the previous occupants paniced and just kept pulling on the handles till the little plastic teeth broke. Don't know what the handles cost cause I just borroed them from a spare 92. Remove obvious screws and the door panel prys out and up to replace handles.

Happened to me too, easy to fix/replace.

One of the plastic teeth broke as opera said. The handle looked just like yours when it sprung back, and would not open the door anymore.

Talk about cheap, had same trouble with my Mustang.

Oh I got a set of 4 off ebay so I don`t know how much you will pay.

inside door latch

Same thing just happend to me too on our 95 exploerer XLT. What does it take to remove door panel and what part do I need to replace?

Where do you guys buy your parts for good price?

I also am still looking for the lense for my drivers door safety light (on inside of door down near the bottom, liht lights when door open to warn oncoming motorists of door being opened.)

Total time: 1 hour (Including 5 mile trip to dealer)
Total funds: $16

Another broken door handle, huh? First off, its not very hard to replace. I'm only 17 and had to do this solo without any prior experience. At first I was scared because I wasn't sure whether taking off the doors would ruin them or whatnot, and I was worried because I had heard new door handles cost upwards of $75...

All my fears were unnecessary, it seems...

Here's what broke:

Latch%201.jpg

I know there was a great write-up somewhere on here... you could do a search for it, but I know I was a typical guy and did it without directions...

I actually took the door off (take 2 screws out of the handle, then pull all the way gently around the edges of the door until the all clips come out... don't worry if you break them, they sell them for about $5/100. then lift up over the lock) I unscrewed the handle assembly and pull it off, and took it to the dealer. He said I was the third person that week with the problem, and the whole assembly cost... $16!!!. Then I put everything back together... pretty simple!

just got the box out of the garage, and the part # for the drivers rear-door is:

F77Z-7821819-AAJ

I'm not sure if it is different for each door, though, so I'd check before doing any purchases.

if you live close to a junk yard just get one from there. got mine for like $2 or something

My daughter just trashed my inside right rear handle last night. She did not oull that hard, but the handle came out nearly 90deg to the door. I popped it back, but now it won't open from inside. Feels like the handle is not connected to anything.

I looked on Ebay and see these door handle replacement kits. They do not look like what you need. Maybe so. It looks like the outside cover piece. Am I not searching for the right thing or are there just very few ever there?

Are you saying that a dealer sells a one door kit for $16? My brother-in-law was a Ford dealer. I remember once him saying that it was about a $75 repair at the dealer.

Does anyone have a part number for the right-rear door?

Thanks

It's a very common problem. I posted a poll about it. The handles just aren't strong enough. $75 sounds about right to have a dealer do it. The most expensive place I called was $16

if were talking about the inside plastic door handle you should just do it yourself and save a lot of money. the handle is cheap at any junk yard and installation is a breeze.

I would avoid the junkyard for a $12 handle. I'd get one with 0 miles on it.

The handle did not break off. It just broke loose from whatever it is connected to inside. It still has it's spring loading meaning it will snap back in place, but it feels like it is disconnected. No action at all. I guess I am going to have to pull the inside panel off this weekend and see what the action principle is what is broke.

Any ideas, or help from someone who has done this would be appreciated. Is there any site or place I can see a drawing of the mechanism of how this works.

yes, thats usually what happens when they break. there is a little plastic piece that breaks off because ford made a terrible design. then it will not grab the spring section and pull the lock open. you can get a new one but i would save on the install and do it myself. real easy. only thing is i don't know if ford ever redesigned it so it may break again just like any other.

I got mine from the Ford's Parts dept for only $12!!

it's tricky to replace it! me and billy had a hard time till we figured it out my the use of the internet! but we got it done.

Back