• Register Today It's free!

Lets Talk Seat Covers

CommandPresence

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA
If your PIU is like mine, the fabric on the drivers seat is tired. What is everyone getting for cushioned set covers for their PIU? Short of buying new front seats, I'd like to get some covers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Tired"? Did your seats wear out already?

"Tired"? Did your seats wear out already?
The foam is fine, it's the constant in/out with duty belts from the previous owner.

I contacted a couple of the higher quality seat cover companies. I wanted to cover my front seats as my dog rides a lot, but didn't want the covers to look obvious and wanted to protect the leather. One company send me several material samples ranging from breathable mesh to leather. I have heated seats so that's a consideration.

Let me know if I can offer any info.

....... I have heated seats so that's a consideration.
That is not the only consideration. Here is another from the 2013 Manual;

WARNING: Do not use accessory seat covers. The use of
accessory seat covers may prevent the deployment of the side
airbags and increase the risk of injury in an accident.

Peter

Great point.

Yes, you have to specify seat heater, cooler, airbag, etc. when ordering. The companies I contacted were cognizant of those considerations and their designs are engineered to not interfere with those functions. The one company that sent me samples recommended a mesh material to prevent trapping heat, etc. but still preventing my dog from scratching the leather. It was a pattern designed to not interfere with airbags.

Great point.

Yes, you have to specify seat heater, cooler, airbag, etc. when ordering. The companies I contacted were cognizant of those considerations and their designs are engineered to not interfere with those functions. The one company that sent me samples recommended a mesh material to prevent trapping heat, etc. but still preventing my dog from scratching the leather. It was a pattern designed to not interfere with airbags.
My K9's ride in the back or on a folded 2nd row seat. It isn't that often that they come along unless going for grooming or to the vet.:eek:

Peter

I found a set at autozone I'm going to try out. They are airbag safe as well. If they don't fit well and don't work like I expect, I can always return. Someday I'll grab some leather seats somewhere.

My K9's ride in the back or on a folded 2nd row seat. It isn't that often that they come along unless going for grooming or to the vet.:eek:

Peter

My very spoiled mini aussie likes to ride in front in the passenger seat. He has a dog cover on it for now, and one of those harness retention devices that click into the seatbelt assembly. It's a fast on and off seat cover that only covers the surface but works fine for him since he's only 20 pounds. I had to promise my wife and daughter that Maverick would ride in front if I was allowed to buy the Exp. Quid pro quo. :)

Katzkin.com makes some really nice covers that are also fairly expensive. I'm not sure about with Ford, but in regards to Mopar they have actually worked with Dodge to make the covers compliant with air bags, heaters, etc. We're probably going to go this route with our Charger because, for whatever reason, despite having several other 'upgrades' they put a (at least high quality) cloth seats in it.

I checked their website and they say $2,000 for the covers, but that includes installation. That's just an estimate depending on where an authorized installer is and what they charge, etc. You can buy the skins yourself and install them and that saves about half the cost. PIU didn't pull up in their drop down menu, but I'm sure they can be made for your Exs as well.

I'm pretty sure the Ford authorized ones have break away side bolsters for proper airbag deployment.

I have been looking onto this myself as I just bought one of the Explorers this week (waiting for it to be delivered from Chicago), looks like there are only a couple companies making covers of some quality and tailoring to the base seats.

FIA makes a tweed replacement that's almost like stock but lil thicker material, They also have a Synth leather that is dual tone but the charcoal looks a little light and he black is very black IMHO
IGGEE looks like they have a dark charcoal leather-like set that at this point is my choice of the two leather types.

I had Clazzio seat covers on my old 2006 PI Charger and they were AWESOME, upset they dont make anything for the Explorer.

Just wondering about seat covers for a 2015 PIU, but thinking mainly of the backseat as that is where the dogs hand most of the time. So tough and durable, but eazy to take off and toss in wash would be nice. Any suggestions?

Just wondering about seat covers for a 2015 PIU, but thinking mainly of the backseat as that is where the dogs hand most of the time. So tough and durable, but eazy to take off and toss in wash would be nice. Any suggestions?
There are posts on that in the "Discussion" sub forum.

Peter

Back