lift for 32's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lift for 32's

DeRocha said:
I installed my SkyJacker 4" lift last month and I'm in the process of putting together a write up with pics... Anyway I found It was absolutely necessary to have a decent right angle drill to install this kit. Also the front brake hoses are way too short and you'll need to get new ones. I picked up a new rear hose, but others just bent the hose mounting bracket which allowed the stock hose to be re-used. 13yrs of New England roads basically forced me to replace 75% of the brake hardline as most fittings were fused to the line. I would get some PB Blaster and start hitting all the bolts every day to help the removal process. BTW did you order shocks with your kit, or are you picking them up later? What does the kit have to raise the rear?

By the way. I can't find any Skyjacker lift other than the 2" ????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KLJ777 said:
By the way. I can't find any Skyjacker lift other than the 2" ????

You are 100% correct... Skyjacker no longer advertises the Explorer kit... But the Ranger and Explorer kits are the same :cool: ...So go to skyjacker and lookup kits for the ranger... BTW download the install manual and on the first page it indicates Explorer/Ranger in huge lettering... :confused:

Well I'll be ....there it is on the front page just like you said ;)

One last question, can I get some opinions as to which is the better kit ? Skyjacker or Superlift (saying I go with the same options on both)

THANKS!!!

I've never owned either kit, i too am in the market for a lift. This is what i have researched already...

superlift radius arms supposedly are a weaker mono-tublar design.

Skyjacker uses two tubes... much stronger

Superlift (passenger side beam) axle pivot brackets are known to put holes in the front pumpkin at full compression (of the driverside beam).

Skyjacker makes a much more quality bracket

for 2-3 hundred bucks more, id go with skyjacker...

skyjacker shocks suck from what i understand.

Superlifts coil springs suck also

When searching for a lift I pretty much came to the same conclusions that Creager did... I'd also add lots of people commented that the Skyjacker lift was an easier install. I ordered shocks only after installing the kit and measuring full extension, compression, and ride height... I found shocks that matched my #s and mounting configuration. The front shocks were originally for a full size Bronco, while the back were for the Excursion.. I chose Rancho 9000x adjustable shocks since the Bronco/Excursion mix may have been too harsh and I wanted a way to dial them in to be evenly matched. They have worked out very well and I'd recommend them in a heart beat..

15x10 rims are W i d e next to a stock '95
182052005_Jamboree_02_WEB-med.jpg

182052005_Jamboree_01_WEB-med.jpg

Skyjacker seems the way to go, just gotta save 3-4 hundred more now :(

Thanks !!!

I know this is a old thread but heres a pic of my truck when it was stock 32" Dunlop Mud Rovers
1975421_1_full.jpg

Webster3 said:
That's kinda of amazing to me... I can't imagine getting these tires on my rig when it was stock! I guess if you keep them on a 15x7 wheel that helps but with my setup I think if the tires were any wider I'd be rubbing the front sway bar.

Any pics of your truck? I'm interested to see what it looks like.

Ed

Looks tight... but better than I would have though! I assume you got some rubbing... how bad?

Ed

sandrunner said:
I know this is a old thread but heres a pic of my truck when it was stock 32" Dunlop Mud Rovers
QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info guys! I have hadd my 4" Skyjacker kit in for almost a month now and love it! It was a pretty straight forward install and only took my about 6 hours in my garage (no lift on jackstands). As soon as I can Ill get pics posted. I also installed a Hurst short throw shifter which makes it drive a whole lot nicer and I also installed a full exhaust (Headers, custom pipes, Flowmaster super 40 mufflers, and cat) and a K&N intake. Shes a real beast!! I will say though I really need to regear now its a little sluggish off the line. But before I do any of that my wife wants me to lift her 98' EB Explorer (I think this ones going to take a little more time)! Thanks again.

DeRocha, is it Skyjacker that makes the Axle pivot brackets univeral between their 4" and 6" lifts?

Creager said:
DeRocha, is it Skyjacker that makes the Axle pivot brackets univeral between their 4" and 6" lifts?
Yes.. If I want to go to 6" I just need to use the lower axle pivot hole, get new front coil springs and do a SOA in the rear...

yes those are 32x11.5x15's,,,and yes there was a little rubbing..had to do some trimming behind the wheel and rubbed on the swaybar not too much

I thought about eventually going up to 6" with my lift since the Skyjacker kit will do that. The only problem I thought of is that I don't think I would be able to continue using the Skyjacker leafs in the rear because doing an SOA with them will give me more than 2" more lift.

So besides swapping out the rear springs I thought perhaps some custom shackles or something could do the job. Either way, going to 6" seems to be more and more of a pain in the wallet every time I think about it :)

Ed

DeRocha said:
Yes.. If I want to go to 6" I just need to use the lower axle pivot hole, get new front coil springs and do a SOA in the rear...

Webster3 said:
I thought about eventually going up to 6" with my lift since the Skyjacker kit will do that. The only problem I thought of is that I don't think I would be able to continue using the Skyjacker leafs in the rear because doing an SOA with them will give me more than 2" more lift.

So besides swapping out the rear springs I thought perhaps some custom shackles or something could do the job. Either way, going to 6" seems to be more and more of a pain in the wallet every time I think about it :)

Ed

Sorry I kinda glossed over some steps going from 4-6". The SOA is a bigger step than just slapping on new leaf springs. You'll have to determine the correct pinion angle and weld on some new spring perches (re-use the OEM leaf springs as the 4" lifted ones will be too big). If you take your X off-road you will need to lengthen your drive shaft to prevent it from falling :eek: out at full flex. You'll also need a step ladder so your passengers can get in :p

I don't have the original leafs anymore, but even if I did I wonder if the result would be a sagging rear? I've seen the SOA done on many 5.5" lifts and the rear always looks a bit low.... add a little more hight with the 6" and I would imagine things get a little low back there.

I'm just wondering if there is an aftermarket leaf that would give a little more hight than the stock leaf and would be more heavy-duty like the Skyjacker leaf.

Ed

Webster3 said:
I don't have the original leafs anymore, but even if I did I wonder if the result would be a sagging rear? I've seen the SOA done on many 5.5" lifts and the rear always looks a bit low.... add a little more hight with the 6" and I would imagine things get a little low back there.

I'm just wondering if there is an aftermarket leaf that would give a little more hight than the stock leaf and would be more heavy-duty like the Skyjacker leaf.

Ed

if you do a search you will find tons of links to spring dealers that sell cheaper and cheaper. Ford sells their replacment leafs for around 300 buck... :eek: Wowzers

Old Man Emu is the brand that comes to mind when i think if quality replacement leafs. Maniak (?) has them i believe. Quality springs from what i understand... But you can find some for around 150-200 bucks for the pair if you search around.

The ride is much nicer with the Ome springs compared to the stock or stock with an AAL.. But towing isn't their forte. The overload spring is pretty far away from the main leaf so it would sag quite a bit before it hit the overload.. When packed to the gills for camping (6 days in the desert) the rear end would sag well over an inch (and I had to set the rs9000's to maximum)..

I still love the OME springs.. I'd love to get a set of stock height springs to use with a SOA (my next suspension upgrade) but I don't know if they make them...

~Mark

Never heard anything about the superlift and the diff.

Mine today... STUFFED
show043.jpg

show056.jpg

show061.jpg

No way will the diff hit the drop bracket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, that's nice! That's an unusual color for a sport isn't it? Is that custom? You have a link with all your specs somewhere? (EDIT: oops, I see the link)

Ed

Back