Gear Ratio for 32's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear Ratio for 32's

First off...I don't know what gears I have nor do I know how to find out...so any help there would be nice. 2nd..If I put on 32's...what gear should I Put in??? And how much should I expect to spend?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look in your drivers door jam and look at the ID tag. Tell me what it says for the axle/gear code.

It says D4.

I see now that this means 3.73 LS. Is that good/bad?

With a D4 axle code, that is a 3.73 Limited slip axle, i would reccomend you keep this gear ratio if you do alot of highway driving, if all you do is city driving i would reccomed a 4.10. these are my opinions on it. or you can do the 4.10 and you will get better acceleration and your RPM's will be slightly higher on the interstate, i would totally stay away from 4.56's though

I don't think 4.56 would be too high. My '97 4x4 Sport came stock with 30" tires and 4.10 axle. With my 32" tires, it would take the equivalent of a 4.37 axle just to get back to the same overall ratio. Add in the extra weight of the tires and 4.56 would be a better match than my 4.10s are to get my accelaration back up to where it was with stock tires.

Robert is prolly right on this, but i do alot of hi-way driving and with 3.73's and 31's at 65mph my rpm's are well above the 3000rpm range (3200 to be exact) and i wouldn't want them any higher than that on the highway

I would keep the 3.73s if I were you. I ran 33s with 3.73s for almost a year and even did some pretty hard off-roading. It was fine, although it was really nice when I got the 4.56s. Anyway, you'll be fine with 3.73s and 32s.

ok...thanks everyone for the help on this.:D

Yeah, I run 3.73s with 32" tires... I can't complain at all. That LS will be good for you too.

With 4.10 gears and 32x11.50 tires on 15" rims in OD (a4ld tranny) we are at 2600-2700 rpms at 75 (local speed limit)

that should help you figure out what gears you want.. if you go 4.56 and you do lots of highway driving you aren't going to be cruising at 75.. and if you keep the 3.73 you may not have enough low end grunt (or power for wheeling)

~Mark

Yomie, man seems like your RPM's are up there alittle bit. I've got 3.73 with 31's and i set my cruise at 68-69 on the highway and mine are running at 2600. What kind of gas milage are you getting? According to my GPS, when i'm running at this speed on my speedo then i'm actually doing about 76.

I'd like to have a set of 4.10's if anyone wants to give me some!:p

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by Yomie
Robert is prolly right on this, but i do alot of hi-way driving and with 3.73's and 31's at 65mph my rpm's are well above the 3000rpm range (3200 to be exact) and i wouldn't want them any higher than that on the highway

The only way you should be 3200 RPM at 65 MPG with your tires and gears is if you aren't going into overdrive. With 4.10 and 32" tires on my '97 it turns about 2100 RPM at 65 MPH. If you have an automatic, we should have the same ratios in our transmissions. With my 30" tires, I was turning about 2400 RPM.

I have an M5R1 tranny and yes my Speedo has been calibrated, i was getting like 11-13 mpg before my truck went in to the shop, but after i got all this work done on my truck i am getting around 17-19 mpg now. it doesn't seem to matter if i am on the highway or in the city my MPG is always the same. but when i am ion the highway, my engine is roaring at any speeds above 70mph. I dunno what it is.

BTW i am taking a last minute road trip this thursday - monday if you live anywhere along I65 between Louisivlle and Mobile i will be passing through your area! ana also I10 between mobile and gulfport!!

Back