Lift kit or extra spring?

walterd140

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Hi all,
I live in Massachusetts & I was wondering what height difference it makes between:

adding a spring

2" lift in front, 3"lift in rear

Just jacking up the body

I want to do this cheap, but in a nice way with traction being the driving gear.

Any ideas?

Thanks Walter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are looking for traction, then neither will help you. A cheap lift kit, with a 1.5" lift coil is not going to help articulation, it basically just pushes the axles down a little.

Now a body lift just raises the center of gravity.

Both allow for larger tires. Both have "hidden" costs involved.

When you say traction is the reason for the modifications, what do you mean? You mean you get one tire in the mud and your stuck? even in 4wd?

Well if thats the case then what you need is not lift, what you need is a traction device, either a locker or limited slip.........

Actually, I want to see over the 3 idiots in front of me at the red light while being able to stop in time. Not trying to start a flame message, but Mass drivers are NOT the best. ;) ( I might be one of 'em :) )

Just looking for the best way to lift the truck & keep traction (still have factory wheels)

Walter
Peace

hey walther i live in framingham.
you can space out your rear wheels to keep the same hight/track ration as i have. you can also go withbetter all season tired instead of mudders. A/Ts have a lot better tracktion. Go with the best brakes and rotors you can and lift only 1-3"

i'll be jacking my truck sometome in the next two weeks. if you bring your truck down we could get to work on it too as i'll have all my tools out already.

dan

You can stick 31x10.50 or 33x10.50 tires on your stock rims. I would not lift the truck without getting new, taller tires.

That being said, 31s will fit well with the 1.5" front spacer/ rear shackle lift; lots of info here on that. If you want to go with 33x10.50, new springs in front and addaleaf in addition to shackles in the rear should be good, or the 1.5" suspension lift and a 2" body lift.

Other tire sizes mean getting new rims. Like I said above, I would not lift without new rubber.

After some soul & wallet searching, I think your right about the rubber. I'm going to look into the 31x10.50 for my stock rims. Found some at the local tire store for about $85 each

Thanks
Walter

Back