Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3
Just wondering if you guys installing lift kits have checked to see if the lift kits you are installing carry a warranty that will replace Ford's powertrain warranty?
There was a new report a few days ago where someone added a lift kit to his F-150 and later ended up with a seized differential. Ford said that since the truck was modified with a lift kit that Ford's powertrain warranty was voided.
Luckily the kit that was bought had a warranty that covered powertrain damage. Perhaps it's something to keep in mind?

Peter

Seems fishy, no reason a lift would cause a diff to fail, unless it was a large lift and significantly larger tires (lot more weight) and/or offsets were used.

I can see them balking about suspension related or steering parts after a lift was installed. Hard to see how they could balk about drivetrain for just a lift though.

I am curious to see if anyone else has anything on this. I'm considering putting one on mine.

Seems fishy, no reason a lift would cause a diff to fail, unless it was a large lift and significantly larger tires (lot more weight) and/or offsets were used.

I can see them balking about suspension related or steering parts after a lift was installed. Hard to see how they could balk about drivetrain for just a lift though.

I am curious to see if anyone else has anything on this. I'm considering putting one on mine.

If the drive shaft to pinion angle is not addressed with the lift kit, it can indeed cause the drive shafts to phase pulse ( spin out of phase) and cause drive line vibration, which could lead to damage.

The lift on the 5th gen explorer will increase the angles on each cv axle. This will also increase stress and wear. Just an FYI

If the drive shaft to pinion angle is not addressed with the lift kit, it can indeed cause the drive shafts to phase pulse ( spin out of phase) and cause drive line vibration, which could lead to damage.

The lift on the 5th gen explorer will increase the angles on each cv axle. This will also increase stress and wear. Just an FYI

Of course, you're absolutely correct! Didn't think about that. And the OP doesn't mention how bit of a lift was on the F150 too. Oh well - that's what I get for writing responses in the middle of the night. Haha. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, the 1.25 inch/2.25 inch (rear/front) will have an affect, but I'd expect it to be reasonably minimal. Also, in my case at least, I'm sticking with tires that are consistent with the factory size dimensions.

Back