• Register Today It's free!

Lift kit question?

jauldredge

Reaction score
City, State
morganton, nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
I am interested if anyone can help me with a lift kit question. I am currently running a 2" shackle in rear and a 2" block under front spring on my 92 XLT. My question is i am about to install rough country 4" lift kit, can i combine them for 6" of lift? Or will have to remove the shackle and block to get proper alignment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think the rough country comes with shackles so you wouldnt be able to combine in the back, and i doubt you will be able to for the front b/c i think they also come with new springs too. Even if you could in the front that would make your ex sit an extra 2 inches in the front.

You'll probably have to remove the "block" from the front coils. The Rough country only has the 4" hole so a 6" lift using a 4" drop bracket won't align properly. You could try it, but I'm willing to bet it won't. I think the max difference allowed from drop bracket to actual lift size is 1.5" or so.

The rear shackles are fine to leave in unless the kit comes with some, I would use those.

Good luck.

Just checked my ex, Rough Country comes with shackles, use those.

Thanks for info, im getting that it will not align up on front. with my rough country kit i intalled new leaf springs in rear w kit and in front got longer springs. The rear would be no problem adding biger shackle, but front block plus new springs won't line up. guess if i want it any bigger need to do a SAS. thanks again guys, just checking to see if anyone had pulled it off.

i think you can chose your rear lift... as for the front, if the drop brackets are for 4" and you run 6, you might still be in the safe zone. that shouldnt be any different than running a 2" lift with now alignment change. does that sound right?

i think you can chose your rear lift... as for the front, if the drop brackets are for 4" and you run 6, you might still be in the safe zone. that shouldnt be any different than running a 2" lift with now alignment change. does that sound right?

This is exactly what I am doing on my '91 Ranger 2WD with 4" Rough Country lift. I was wondering the same things, so I just tinkered around and stacked washers under my coil seat just to test and with an 1/8th of an inch shy of 2" the truck stood very evidently taller. Also before with the 4" lift it has sagged in the front towing the tire top inwards which has annoyed me enough so with doing this it has not only lifted it has resolved that issue, but yes I studied the geometry and stress points and this does not exeed a safe "zone" at all. Now I removed the washers and plan to get new 6" skyjacker coils front/ leafs rear, along with a 3" body lift to clear some 35s probably with some fender trimming and flares.

I am interested if anyone can help me with a lift kit question. I am currently running a 2" shackle in rear and a 2" block under front spring on my 92 XLT. My question is i am about to install rough country 4" lift kit, can i combine them for 6" of lift? Or will have to remove the shackle and block to get proper alignment.

i got the 4 inch rough country in my 94 xlt, i was thinking of doing a 2 inch f 150 coil spacer an a drop shackle in the rear to give me a 6 inch lift, and it will work but it puts more strain on your running gear cause of the angle's. i would go 4 inch suspension and a 3 inch body.

yes u can. I have the set up on my explorer and everything lined up perfect, just remember to get extended brake lines. good luck

yes u can. I have the set up on my explorer and everything lined up perfect, just remember to get extended brake lines. good luck

how does your explorer work when wheelin i use mine in the mud, so all of the spinning then getting traction id worry about it breaking a u joint or something?

To be honest, i have not had it wheelin yet, changed rear gear to 4:56 and had to drop the front drive shaft because i havent had the money to change out the front. That would be your call good luck

Back