Lift Kit????????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Kit?????????

BuilderBee133

Reaction score
City, State
Gulfport, Mississippi.....Military put me here!
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I recently purchased a 1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2wd. I am looking to lift it 2 or 3 inches. Any suggestions? I have searched everywhere and can't seem to find a suspension or body lift that I can use. I don't want to spend a lot of money though, so if it's something that I have to save up for, I would like to know now! I heard something about a "torsion bar twist" in the front and add a leaf and shackles in the rear. What is this exactly and is it a good idea? Thanks a lot guys! I'm a new member to this place and I think it rocks!

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the best I can describe the torsion twist/shackle lift. It is equel to a 1.5-2" suspension lift.

1. Call 1-800-528-3402. Tell them that you want the Warrior shackles for your Explorer. They will cost about $55 with shipping.

2. The shackles are the things at the rear of your explorer. You will have to crawl under to see them. They are black and H shaped. There are 2 of them. Once you get the Warrior shackles you should be able to find the stock ones because you will know what they look like. The warriors are about 3" longer than the stock shackles and they are steal. This will raise the rear of your explorer 1.5".

3. To put the shackles on, I am not 100% sure how because I just had a body shop do it. But I did watch them do it and looked very simple. I just didnt have a jack with jackstands so didnt want to mess with doing it my self.

4. After the shackles are on your explorer will be slanted because your rear will be 1.5" taller.

5. Crawl under your explorer near the front but closer to the middle. It is hard for me to describe these and took me a while to find. They are very obvious however once you know where they are. Do a search about locating the TORSION BOLTS.

6. Once you find the 2 bolts (one of the left one on the right side) you will have to tighten these. The more you tighten the higher your lift will be. However you need to measure the distance from your wheel well to the ground before you start this. Then keep turning the bolts untill your new measurement equels anywhere from 1.5"-2". NO HIGHER

These are pretty vague descriptions but there are TONS of threads about this on here.

Let me know if this helped...
Grant

i have 16" rims on my X. what's the best size tire to run on it if i do the shackle/torsion lift? i know its only an inch and a half, but i am getting new tires for free, so i need a good size to get without going too big. i have 255/70R/16 now. i want bigger, but dont know what. any suggestions?

265/75/16 31.8 inches tall

Although you'll have to do some VERY minor fender trimming.

And you can run them (265 75R16) even if you don't do the TT/Shackel lift, althought the TT/Shackel lift will make it look a little better. The place that needs trimmed is on a horizontal plane with the tire so lifting it up doesn't really put the tire any further away from it. The trimming is very minor. On my '97 it was a small piece of plastic at the bottom, back of the front wheel well molding. When I turned the tires, the tire touched it slightly as it went past. I trimmed it off and ran for several months before I did the TT/Shackel lift. Add a 3" body lift and it will make it look a lot better :)

Back