Lift Laws | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Laws

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Michigan just need licence and bumper

I cannot wait until i move to montana this summer...law states headlights must be no higher than 72in (that is a tall friggin truck lol)..102in wide, vehicle height at 14ft and cant be 55ft long lol. No frame height...oh and you have to have fenders...mud flaps as well but does not state exactly how large and what they need to cover :)

Time to get out of California!!

In texas, ive been pulled over for multiple reasons, usually they come up to the door and say "your not in trouble, im just letting you know" then they proceed to ask if they can check out the truck...

1: Any foward facing aftermarket lights must be covered while on the street(like the kc smiley cover type)

2: Headlights to center 54" or below, Tailights to center 60" or below

3: 2 years ago, they passed the law of : any truck equipped with aftermarket lift must have rear mud flaps/ sling gaurds equipped while on the street

4: Any exhaust modification on a truck must exit no shorter than behind the main cab of the vehicle.

5: any vehicle with aftermarket, lowered headlights to stay compliant must have a DOT stamp on them and the factory headlights if still installed, can not be attached to the headlight switch.

6: Any colored accent lights equipped can not be on while "in-motion" and can only be used while vehicle is in park, unless for use on emergency vehicles or licensed construction vehicles.( construction, wreckers, toll way authorities, ect...)

Thats mainly what ive been pulled over for and have never gotten a warning or ticket.

Ive had one outstanding law enforcement personel pull me over and didnt know the laws, he preceded to ask me if the truck was legal and i had to explain the "state-inspector" definition of everything he asked about.... O_O

What i find very odd, and am unable to locate such a law in CA, is that shackle lifts are illegal?? Anyone in Cali, or know Cali law heard of this?? I was told by a mechanic last night, and I advised that I have looked through the CA laws and never saw such thing. Just merely frame height and headlamps..etc..but nothing about shackles.

In texas, ive been pulled over for multiple reasons, usually they come up to the door and say "your not in trouble, im just letting you know" then they proceed to ask if they can check out the truck...

1: Any foward facing aftermarket lights must be covered while on the street(like the kc smiley cover type)

2: Headlights to center 54" or below, Tailights to center 60" or below

3: 2 years ago, they passed the law of : any truck equipped with aftermarket lift must have rear mud flaps/ sling gaurds equipped while on the street

4: Any exhaust modification on a truck must exit no shorter than behind the main cab of the vehicle.

5: any vehicle with aftermarket, lowered headlights to stay compliant must have a DOT stamp on them and the factory headlights if still installed, can not be attached to the headlight switch.

6: Any colored accent lights equipped can not be on while "in-motion" and can only be used while vehicle is in park, unless for use on emergency vehicles or licensed construction vehicles.( construction, wreckers, toll way authorities, ect...)

Thats mainly what ive been pulled over for and have never gotten a warning or ticket.

Ive had one outstanding law enforcement personel pull me over and didnt know the laws, he preceded to ask me if the truck was legal and i had to explain the "state-inspector" definition of everything he asked about.... O_O

If I were a cop and saw your truck I would pull you over as well...just to say...WOW! lol :) And then Take pictures hahaah

If I were a cop and saw your truck I would pull you over as well...just to say...WOW! lol :) And then Take pictures hahaah
lol, its funny u say that.. saturday when we left at 6 am to meet the driveshaft builder at his shop(i pulled the trailer with one buddy with me watching and another following to make sure it was transporting well). we stopped at Mcdonalds and i bought breakfast for my buddies.. we were inside and watched like 4 diffrent people pull up and take some pictures of it on the trailer then drive off..

On the way back, we stopped at MCdonalds again at like 1:30 pm to get lunch, this time we got it to go and sat on the trailer to eat, there was 5 people that stopped(one a cop) and asked us to get off the trailer so they could take a pic...

What i find very odd, and am unable to locate such a law in CA, is that shackle lifts are illegal?? Anyone in Cali, or know Cali law heard of this?? I was told by a mechanic last night, and I advised that I have looked through the CA laws and never saw such thing. Just merely frame height and headlamps..etc..but nothing about shackles.
I have never heard of that, and I would have heard. The only lift laws in California are about frame, lights and license plate height, and space between body and frame. I have a reference guide for modified vehicles and there is nothing in it for shackles. Might be something in there for commercial vehicles, but I have never heard of it before now. I will look this up in the database tomorrow at the office to make sure. Post # 73 has nearly all of the lift laws for California.

Time to get out of California!!(edited for content)
We will miss you. Hey, when you leave, would it be too much to ask that you take about 20 million people with you?? Mainly left-wing liberal types?? How about just our governor, Moonbeam Brown?? You don't have to take them all the way to Montana, just somewhere where their GPS and phones won't work so they can't find their way back. Come on, PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEE????

That is what I was thinking as well. I do not know the entire state law on this matter, but my job deals with a majority of motor vehicle laws on a daily basis, and not once have I heard of this..either way I think he was attempting to get more money. He did compliment the body lift though, saying that he rarely sees the bumpers actually look in place :) ..especially for someone doing it at their home.

Heck I don't want them near me!! lol let alone leading a caravan full of them! They will complain about my truck and the way I drive. They will tax me too! ;) hehe ok ok sorry all...but if you would not mind checking on the shackle issue...I spent last night looking through my books and Internet, nothing about shackles being illegal..I don't know why this is bothering me..but I would really hate to find out after being pulled over for something of that nature. I am in compliance with all state laws, and I want to keep it that way...until I move to Montana...at which point I can drive with no windshield, as long as i have wiper blades and goggles :) LMAO!!!!

I like the wiperblades and goggles. How about goggles with wiperblades???
I looked it up today and there are no lift laws including shackles. There is a few sections about shackles length, width, strength, etc.. but they all pertain to commercial vehicles and their weight limits. Nothing about height of vehicles and shackles. You are in the clear.

Well the strength makes sense in my case. I purchased the truck with what looks like autozone shackles and all they are is just 2bars..one on each side. No middle brace at all. Luckily i purchased the warriors so i will install those in the next week or so. I will see if I cant get a picture this evening so you can see, but they look like 2 flat bars, maybe 1/4 thick and that is it. That could be what he was talking about, but he specifically said shackles lift are not legal except for the fronts. THANK YOU for actually looking this up for me. I really appreciate the help :)

Only 1/4"? That would be scary without a cross brace. I have 3" wide springs on my X, and my unbraced shackles are 1/2" each.

Ya know... so I can pop em off and brain zombies.

Back