• Register Today It's free!

Lift Options?

92 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hello guys i am back again with another lift option. I am 16 and on a little bit of a limited budget.So i wanted to lift my Explorer just enough for 32-33's. I was wondering if it would be do-able to get longer shackles and longer springs. Or if you guys had any other ideas for cheap lifts and knew where to get that stuff. I didnt want do go the body lift route because of some of the things i have heard. Any possible information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello guys i am back again with another lift option. I am 16 and on a little bit of a limited budget.So i wanted to lift my Explorer just enough for 32-33's. I was wondering if it would be do-able to get longer shackles and longer springs. Or if you guys had any other ideas for cheap lifts and knew where to get that stuff. I didnt want do go the body lift route because of some of the things i have heard. Any possible information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1st, let me say, nice to meet you.

Second, I must say that a lot of the -'s about the Body lift are from people who don't have one! Depends really on what your gonna be doing with your truck.
Since your 16, I'd say your gonna be "using" your truck. Aka wheeling. I, as well as MANY others on this (GREAT) forum do the same. I plan on doing a 3" BL(body lift) on my 92 once I get the time and money to do so. I am doing the 3" cause I want more lift and because I don't want to have to mess with modifying the bumper brackets.

Here are just a few options. I'm sure more will be posted. Just give it time.
Cheap lift options:
1. 2 inch front coil spring spacer

2. Add a leaf(aal, usually about 1.5-2" lift in the back) can be had for cheaper I believe.

3. 2" kit(aal and spacer)

4.Longer shackles(1.5-2" lift)

5.You can use F150 coil seats(the steel piece the coil spring sits in/on) and that will lift the front about 1.5". Not sure what year you need, but get acquainted with the search feature as you will need it. You can find more about the f150 coil seats with search. Check a junk yard for cheap ones or you can get them new for about $25 I believe.

Hope this was of some assistance and know that more will be posted soon.

Okay adn all the things you listed will fit the explorer. what would be problems with long front coils and add a leaf and longer shackels in the back

Yes, they are all for the ex.
The only issue you'd possibly run into would be if you went with a 3" or bigger coil in the front. You can do 2", but any bigger and you start needing drop brackets and such.

Okay, How should i lift the back, with just shackels and add-a-leaf then. and with that set up i would not need any other drop brackets? and what size tires could that fit

I would do the shackles first and see if you even need the aal.

You can fit 31's and stuff 32's.

Haha ohh yea i'm sorry thats what i mean't. i dont want to do the aal with shcackles. hahaha sorry

I am thinking about doing both.

im doing both, aal and shackles, also a lil side tip, i just did the spacers up front, change your stock shocks! they maxed out with me, so i got off road Rough Country shocks for all four shocks, nitrogen, made it a lot nicer then fully loaded shock! i just did the/doing the susp lift, coil in front and aal and shackles in the back, TIP if you wantting to save money, BODY LIFT, the susp lift racks up quickly!! Just to show you what i mean
162 for shocks
70 shackles
70 aal
70 spacers
150 front end alignment with new camber/casters
plus price of labor if your not doing it your self, those are rough prices, that is if you dont run into other problems to, like busting a stud for your shocks, but spring tips, wrong camber/caster installed, crap load of rust... a body lift is as cheap as 128 on ebay, let you fit 33s and takes a lil longer to install, again its your ride, just throwing in my two cents, since i literally just did this :D

oh yeah jumpn4jesus, you have to be careful when doing the spacers and coil seats, that will push you to drop brackets, at least from what i can see and what i heard while installing my spacers, that would have put me at about 3.25 inch lift, and put stress on all the brackets, again, im not a senior here, im newish my self, just my two cents

a body lift is as cheap as 128 on ebay, let you fit 33s and takes a lil longer to install,

Amazon has PA Body Lifts for sale for around that price also, you might be more secure buying it from them.

And I did my body lift in about... 3 hours and I had no idea what I was doing. I could probably do one now in under 2 hours easily if nothing went wrong. Just make sure to soak the body bolts with PB Blaster or whatever for a good week before hand. Really helps

I would say to do the body lift ($150), F150 Coil Seats ($60), Shackles ($60), & new shocks ($200). You'll be able to comfortably fit 32s & possibly 33s. For not much more than $500.

Keep in mind for not much more than that you'll be able to get a 5.5" Lift (Around $800). Just don't short yourself on lift, trust me you'll want to go bigger later. :thumbsup:

Correct. I don't wanna do both of those. I am thinking about adding an aal to go with my shackles. I've got some time though. I start college at the end of the month and can't buy anything till after than! So I'd say it's gonna be after Christmas before anything happens with my truck. That's to say if I end up keeping it and not trading it for a car! Gas you know! I'll keep it if I can get the motorcycle I want.

oh yeah jumpn4jesus, you have to be careful when doing the spacers and coil seats, that will push you to drop brackets, at least from what i can see and what i heard while installing my spacers, that would have put me at about 3.25 inch lift, and put stress on all the brackets, again, im not a senior here, im newish my self, just my two cents

Could be wrong but I think he was saying he's probably doing the AAL and Shackles, not Coil Seats & Spacer. :salute:

And if he is thinking about doing both Coil Seats & Spacers, then that is just stupid & dangerous. :D

lol i know rob :p: but i seen the post above talking about the seats and spacers, if someone like me.... didnt know crap about lifts, lol read that and had links right there aval i would have tried it, but THANKFULLY i have you guys! lol who walked me through my lift

Yay! Someone got what I said! haha.

Yeah, that would be pretty stupid!

And I did my body lift in about... 3 hours and I had no idea what I was doing. I could probably do one now in under 2 hours easily if nothing went wrong. Just make sure to soak the body bolts with PB Blaster or whatever for a good week before hand. Really helps

i wish, all the quotes ive heard here tell me at least 6 hrs or longer, that is with a torch and not knowing what your doing, to much rust on my x, wanna come do mine:D:D

Amazon has PA Body Lifts for sale for around that price also, you might be more secure buying it from them.

Seriously! 3 hours!!! I've heard 6-8 as well.

Was that ALONE?:thumbsup::thumbdwn: I plan on SOAKING the stuff in PB and all but still....3 hours.:shoot:

Seriously! 3 hours!!! I've heard 6-8 as well.

Was that ALONE?:thumbsup::thumbdwn: I plan on SOAKING the stuff in PB and all but still....3 hours.:shoot:

Me and 2 of my buddies, both had no idea what they were doing either. We started at 11:15 and had it out by 2:30. Only hold up we had was with bumber brackets not working. Had to drill them out and rig them up.

EDIT: I never did hook my e-brake cable back up now that I think about it, we couldn't figure it out. So I guess I'm still not done.

Did you do a 3" or 2"? If it was the 2" one than I can see that as they require modification of the 3" brackets.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

right, everyone was telling me 6+ hours on a 3inch, with them soaked, like i said, we have the torch ready for that, but for now, susp lift, BL after taxes!

Back