Liftgate always dirty | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate always dirty

Thanks for posting up the pics Peter and Ron. Those dont look too obtrusive.

When ordering, are those a dealer installed part, or factory installed? And if I order them, and for some reason dislike the looks, are they easy enough to remove? Noticed the comment about a hole drilled for a christmas tree barb, is that going to be noticeable? Could probably fashion up a plastic plug to fill it, unless it is on the side of the car and not in the wheel-well.
Since they are an option, I quite sure that they are a dealer item. I had mine supply and install without cost as part of the deal. I believe the drilled hole is for the top one for the front guard. Ron should be able to confirm since he installed his own. There shouldn't be any problem removing them if you wanted to. All the fasteners can be screwed back in place and it would look just as the good as before.
My dealer used a black screw and washer for the drilled hole and you can simply put back in its place if you remove the guard. Nobody would even notice.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should have been clearer. The rear flaps use existing holes completely. The front use existing holes and on one spot you need to use an awl to poke a hole in the plastic trim. If you removed them you would not even notice the hole or you could fill it in if you are picky like me.

Mud flaps don't help. I have had mine on for over a year now. There's no difference. What is different is the time of year. Spring is the worst due to all the sand etc... from the winter. No difference IMO. What is different is the amount of mud that no longer builds up inside the doors. Also helps keep the sides clean.

Difference on white ones. For sure. Any other color is dirty as soon as you are done washing it.... :D

Hi everyone!
I am wondering if anyone has added mud flaps to their EX and noticed a significant reduction in the road spray/dirt/mud that accumulates on the rear hatch of the EX? I am in the hatch quite regularly and find I get filthy if I rub up against the bumper while getting things out of it and when the dog gets in and out. Its also a good thing there is a rear wiper or the rear window would be worthless!! Anyone have success with adding mud flaps? Thanks

Mud flaps won't do anything (I have them). It is just the aerodynamics unfortunately that cause this. Nothing you can do to prevent it.

Hi everyone!
I am wondering if anyone has added mud flaps to their EX and noticed a significant reduction in the road spray/dirt/mud that accumulates on the rear hatch of the EX? I am in the hatch quite regularly and find I get filthy if I rub up against the bumper while getting things out of it and when the dog gets in and out. Its also a good thing there is a rear wiper or the rear window would be worthless!! Anyone have success with adding mud flaps? Thanks
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature. Splash guards may help somewhat in the short term in that they limit do some degree the amount of debris thrown up behind the vehicle. Somewhat similar to the amount of debris thrown onto the windshield when driving behind a pickup with and without splash guards. In the end it's just "the nature of the beast". ;)

Peter

Interesting discussion here... a while back, I had a 2008 Toyota 4Runner, which was one of the first SUV's to have a big spoiler attached to the rear gate. It was ingenious... the spoiler had open sections that took the air flowing over the roof and directed it down against the window and rear gate. Not only did it keep the gate clean, it blew the rain off the rear glass too. Hardly had to use the rear wiper at all. Prob came at the expense of adding drag though.

Whoever designed the rear of our 2019 Explorer XLT apparently never had to go outside with it, in the winter time when it is snowing or even snow covered roads. And I thought when we got it in August of this year the road grime that got all over the hatch area was bad... It has rear mud flaps but that doesn't seem to help. It needs a whole back flap from outside wheel well to outside wheel well.

After watching it for the past couple of days, it's an Airflow issue - It causes snow to go up along the hatch and then if it make it blows out from the top roof spoiler. But it causes this huge buildup of ice and snow up the hatch, like worse then any other vehicle I have ever owned or driven (and I am old and we buy a new vehicle every 18 months). The little let's spray the rear camera with window washer fluid doesn't clear it -actually makes it worse on the hatch area. It freezes the hatch shut, not even the power hatch can open it. It instantly blocks the taillights so no one can see me hitting the brakes, EXCEPT for the thank god it's a tad better protected third brake light. And it gets like it after 1/4 mile. If it is above freezing and just raining the back get crazy muddy too.

Too bad, because this things is a beast in the snow and ice - best handling vehicle I have driven in the snow/ice ever. Might also have something to do with the Nokian R9 studded tires too. I used to always run to my F350 when conditions got crappy out and started running to this one, but this is stupid dangerous.

Posting it all out to see if someone else has this issue and fixed it.

^^ Your thread was merged with this one found with the 'Search' feature.
The buildup of dirt, snow etc, is inherent to most if not all SUVs or similarly designed vehicles. I've used the rear camera washer and have never had an issue with the liftgate freezing shut. I have also had trips whereupon pulling into the garage the whole back end including the lights were snow-covered. Not much you can do about it.

Peter

When I first saw this generation of the Explorer I first thought that Ford had got smart and provided a wind channel off of the air flow over the roof to clean the rear window and gate. Well, they didn't and there is no real way to put a aftermarket air flow diverter onto the Explorer to do so.

I had the same type of problem with a 77 Chevy Blazer until I put one of those deflectors onto the rear just above the rear window which would direct air down and across the rear window and tailgate. It worked great in keeping everything clean of dirt and snow back there.

2018 Explorer-the rear deck is always filthy while the rest of the car is clean. There's something about the angle that traps dirt and dust (it's almost as if there's a magnetic attraction just on the rear). It comes clean easily enough with a quick swipe of a rag or even a quick blast of air, but I don't want to have to do this every 2 hours. Has anyone come up with a way to make the dirt/dust not stick back there? This is the only car I've ever owned that does this.

It is the aerodynamics of the Explorer. Other than sealing the back gate completely I doubt that there is anything that you can do.

2018 Explorer-the rear deck is always filthy while the rest of the car is clean. There's something about the angle that traps dirt and dust (it's almost as if there's a magnetic attraction just on the rear). It comes clean easily enough with a quick swipe of a rag or even a quick blast of air, but I don't want to have to do this every 2 hours. Has anyone come up with a way to make the dirt/dust not stick back there? This is the only car I've ever owned that does this.
Very common issue with most SUV and vans. BTW, I've merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

I use the " original california duster" on my Ex. Will take the dust/ pollen off quickly on the entire vehicle. Car collectors use the same.

I use the " original california duster" on my Ex. Will take the dust/ pollen off quickly on the entire vehicle. Car collectors use the same.
Scratches paint unless car is clean and an hours worth of dust and or use detailer spray.

Use ceramic coating (on the glass as well) which will help reduce how much stuff sticks back there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back