Liftgate always dirty | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate always dirty

It's dust from the junk Chevy products you pass every day.....

Oh good lord, don't let my father-in-law hear you say that! He says Fords are crap, but at least they are American (since we traded in the Subaru for it) :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would a rear spoiler help ?

Option 2 would work and redirects the air over the window.

9765DSC_0011_Small_2_.jpg

Oh good lord, don't let my father-in-law hear you say that! He says Fords are crap, but at least they are American (since we traded in the Subaru for it) :D

My father-in-law drove Chevy for 40 years. I challenged him to just take a Ford for a ride 10 years ago and he has been in a Ford ever since....

Man, I might be the only one here who doesn't care if the back of my Ex is dirty...I do however dislike that my PANTS are always dirty!! Haha! Im so short I cannot get anything out of the back without rubbing against the dang thing, lol. I especially hate when its my cute Hawkeye pants!! Sometimes I resort to lifting my son into the back to hand me what I want, lol. 8-P

What's wrong with dirty Hawkeye pants? It would match how scummy Iowa City is.... :p

What's wrong with dirty Hawkeye pants? It would match how scummy Iowa City is.... :p

Lol, it only seems that after you grow out of the bars, 8-P

My father-in-law drove Chevy for 40 years. I challenged him to just take a Ford for a ride 10 years ago and he has been in a Ford ever since....

The best part of it is, he really likes the Ex, even though it pains him to admit it. Even better, I can throw some smack his way now! :D

Its just the nature of the beast, BTW don't wipe off pollen, its highly abrasive.

Call ME crazy, but since I put the factory mud flaps on Storm, the tailgate does not get as dirty as fast. I will keep track and let you know, but it is a heck of a lot less dirty now than it was getting before.

Call ME crazy, but since I put the factory mud flaps on Storm, the tailgate does not get as dirty as fast. I will keep track and let you know, but it is a heck of a lot less dirty now than it was getting before.

Since I am looking at ordering Storm Trooper's twin, have you posted pictures showing the flaps? would like to see how they look.

Since I am looking at ordering Storm Trooper's twin, have you posted pictures showing the flaps? would like to see how they look.

I took pictures, just need to load them.....

:eek:

The rear quarter panels and rockers DEFINITELY stay cleaner....

Just went out and took a pic of the ones I had the dealer supply and install when I picked up the Ex in March 2011. There is no Ford decal on the front ones.

Peter

Attachments

• P7190352a.jpg
    P7190352a.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 424
  • P7190353a.jpg
    P7190353a.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 441

The back of mine has never really been that dirty unless I've been driving over wet or slushy roads. I couldn't really say if it was because of the splash guards or not since they have been on there since I picked the Ex up. The rear guards would prevent some dirt being thrown up.

Peter

Ron,

That tow hitch cut out looks awesome. Great job!

Ron,

That tow hitch cut out looks awesome. Great job!

Still a little rough. Trying to to find rubber moulding in our body shop tomorrow to clean it up more. Not bad even if I can't find moulding. I could clean it up a little more (I am ****)...

:D

Back to the mud flaps, im assuming easy to go on with the OEM flaps, should I even consider better ones or alternatives?

OEM flaps are contoured and fit in existing holes, other than one drill hole for plastic push pin. They look great and fit the way mudflaps should fit. Most of the other stuff does not fit good, looks like crap....

Thanks for posting up the pics Peter and Ron. Those dont look too obtrusive.

When ordering, are those a dealer installed part, or factory installed? And if I order them, and for some reason dislike the looks, are they easy enough to remove? Noticed the comment about a hole drilled for a christmas tree barb, is that going to be noticeable? Could probably fashion up a plastic plug to fill it, unless it is on the side of the car and not in the wheel-well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got back from a trip to Maine and there was no where near as much dust and dirt on the liftgate. There was still some, but noticeably different.

Back