• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate always dirty

phareous

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
I notice the rear of the car stays filthy with dust. I'll wipe it off and it will be filthy a day later. There is of course dead bugs always on the front but the rest of the car stays pretty spotless except the back. Any ideas? I am wondering if adding mudflaps might help. The rear sides are fine...its just the tailgate area

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL, I was thinking that exact same thing today. We have the same problem. Had a lot of rain in the area and the car was spotless (thank you fresh wax job :)), but the tailgate was covered, and I mean covered, in road grit and dirt. It's kinda freaky. Our other SUV was never this bad. We can thanks aerodynamics for this lovely trait :D

Can anyone with mud flaps comment on if they have the same problem?

Just look at my road trip thread to see how dirty it can get.

Can anyone with mud flaps comment on if they have the same problem?

Whoops, I forgo to add that we do have the mud flaps. Would it be even worse without them? I cannot say.

We have the mudflaps and the back of our Ex gets filthy all the time. As was said earlier,we can thank aerodynamics for this. Not a problem here as we are used to this living on a gravel/dirt road. My F150 with a Leer camper shell is even worse than the Ex.

Traded in a Buick Rendezvous for my new 2013 Explorer and the tailgate was always covered in dust. The worst stuf was the yellow pollen from the trees, (especially after just a few rain sprinkles - @$^%$#@ ) !!! Anybody know what I'm talking about ??? !!!

I think it's called the "station wagon effect". Actually, I think the Ex is better. But then again, it could be just the white tri-coat color. BTW, mud flaps won't make any difference.

:^O

Traded in a Buick Rendezvous for my new 2013 Explorer and the tailgate was always covered in dust. The worst stuf was the yellow pollen from the trees, (especially after just a few rain sprinkles - @$^%$#@ ) !!! Anybody know what I'm talking about ??? !!!

I think it's called the "station wagon effect". Actually, I think the Ex is better. But then again, it could be just the white tri-coat color. BTW, mud flaps won't make any difference.

Oh yeah, we know what you are talking about. Here in Houston the pine trees bloom and that nasty pollen is EVERYWHERE!!!!! The drought last year kept the pollen down quite a bit, but we are getting much more rain, so it'll probably be nasty next time.

Any SUV will get this, heck even the back of my Saab gets really dirty. I had a rear deflector on my 2000 that helped to keep it down.

Mudflaps here in Connecticut where the pollen is terrible. The back is always filthy no matter what. Kinda sucks...

I don't seem to have this problem very much at all. I guess having a white vehicle doesn't make it look as bad either. I'm talking about normal dry weather driving. As Vince knows, I only take it out of the garage once or twice a week and only if the weather is nice and only around the block once. :D
I also have mudflaps but the problem is caused by air moving quickly over the roof creating a bit of a vacuum in the back end. I think the air deflector is more for show than function.

Peter

Our Buick Enclave has the same problem. I think it's just the aerodynamics of the crossover shaped SUVs

Would a rear spoiler help ?
2011-Ford-Explorer-Rear-Side-590x443.jpg

Or perhaps this "type" :
fu2bfp.jpg

Would a rear spoiler help ?
The Limiteds do come with a rear spoiler. But as mentioned. It is likely more for show than function.

Peter

The Enclave has a lip similar to the limited ex and it doesn't seem to make any difference as far as how dirty it gets.

Our Edge does the same thing, the huge front bumper is always plastered with bugs and the rear is dusty. The Edge has a built in spoiler that actually makes it worse because if you take the car to a car wash the automated car washes cant get under the spoiler so it's still dirt back there when you are done... lol

Thanks everyone for the replies...looks like I don't need to worry about getting the mud flaps. I'll just have to keep wiping it down periodically. It just sucks that it gets covered in dust in less than a day.

It's dust from the junk Chevy products you pass every day.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any SUV, and to be honest most cars as well, will do this. Its the way the air vortexes behind the car from the air flow. Mine is always dirty.

Back