• Register Today It's free!

Light when rear hatch opened.

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Is the dome light supposed to come on when you open the rear hatch / glass?

Mine doesn't light up, and it makes finding things back there in the dark pretty hard.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My rear dome only comes on when the entire rear hatch is opened...not if only the glass is opened.

Is the dome light supposed to come on when you open the rear hatch / glass?

Mine doesn't light up, and it makes finding things back there in the dark pretty hard.

Thanks!

Glass = No
Hatch = Yes

The rear hatch contains an internal switch inside the driver's side latch mechanism. As such when the rear hatch is opened all interior lights should come on.. The big problem with this setup is Ford (early models) didn't provide a means to disable the system (as when tailgating). As such maybe a previous owner cut the hatch wire to tailgate (with the hatch up) with the lights off. On later models Ford smartened up and you could just turn the dimmer switch all the way off and the lights would go off. On 1st gens (91-94) there is no way to do this without manually closing the latch mechanism while the hatch is raised (just remember to open the latch before slamming the hatch closed).

For my solution I just wired in a toggle switch in the rear hatch that I use to kill the lights when I tailgate..

your bulb could be burned out or the switch is bad or someone cut wire or fuse is blown.

For my solution I just wired in a toggle switch in the rear hatch that I use to kill the lights when I tailgate..

I just leave it open, and after 45 minutes or so (I don't know exactly how long) the truck turns the interior lights off itself. It will leave them all off as long as at least one door is open. Close them all, then open one again, and the timer starts over again.

I just leave it open, and after 45 minutes or so (I don't know exactly how long) the truck turns the interior lights off itself. It will leave them all off as long as at least one door is open. Close them all, then open one again, and the timer starts over again.

I didn't realize 1st gen explorers had an energy management feature option (like all new ones have). As you mentioned as soon as you open any door the system resets and leaves the power on for another XX mins (Pita if you ask me) Thankfully you can just scroll the dimmer to off for all new Fords and kill the interior lights.

I didn't realize 1st gen explorers had an energy management feature option (like all new ones have). As you mentioned as soon as you open any door the system resets and leaves the power on for another XX mins (Pita if you ask me) Thankfully you can just scroll the dimmer to off for all new Fords and kill the interior lights.

my 92 dosen't. dome light will stay on until the batteries dead(trust me on this). to shut it off just put the palm of your hand against the latch closest to you and push, it will click in easily. remember to twist the handle before you shut it though. failure to twist the handle won't break anything, you just feel stupid.

Might be just a 94 limited option, or someone added it. Not 1 XLT I have been in does this.

Did the 2nd Gen's have a switch on on the glass? I thought I remembered seeing one...but don't remember if it was a 2nd or 3rd gen..

Ryan

Might be just a 94 limited option, or someone added it. Not 1 XLT I have been in does this.

That's what I was thinking. My Eddie doesn't have it either.

Yeah Ive found out that my 93 Sport must have some kind of power management, because it will shut off the reading lights after some time.

yes it is check light and wiring if ok check switch on left side latch also when u fix it to turn off while hatch is up just pinch closed latch claws on left side but dont forgret to open them back up again before closing the hatch just turn rear door handel

light comes on when I open the glass or hatch in my '99;)

also has power mangment:thumbsup:

light comes on when I open the glass or hatch in my '99;)...

Thats because little refrigerator elves have taken up residence behind your dash and shut the lights off for you :D

Thats because little refrigerator elves have taken up residence behind your dash and shut the lights off for you :D

Nah the fridge is in the cargo area...that's where they live:p:

Back