Lighting Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lighting Install

Hey y'all. I purchased some Hella 500's and the wiring was a breeze. One problem that is giving me difficulty is I have drilled through my bumper to mount them. Here's the problem I can barely get a wrench under there to tighten up the nuts for the lights. Here is a pic of where I am installing the lights. There seems to be a metal peice that runs the length of the bumper around where I have drilled the holes to install my lights. Any kind of news that could possibly help is greatly appriciated. Even taking the bumper off, if it makes it any easier i'm for it. Thanks!

P.S. The white is where the metal plate that restricts my space.
The two yellow dots are where i've drilled the holes

light.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the bumper cover off, you might also try to get under the truck and look up and see if you can get the wrench in there. Also you might use some type of fasteners that dont require nuts and bolts, sord of like a drywall anchor.

If you are putting the lights where the yellow dots are take the grill off, its gotta come off! Though I dont pretend to know how on that late model front....

Hella sometimes includes some expando fasteners with their kits. They might work. I had to cut a wrench in half once to be able to tighten some nuts.
Is the cover strong enough to keep the lights from shakeing?
How about some large sheet metal screws #14 or larger?
Not having worked on that model I'm at a loss.

I finished up the install of the hella 500's. I'm definately satisfied with them. Oh and to get a socket on there I had to take off the plastic cover(splash guard) that is below my radiator and what not and go up from the bottom, it was kinda of a PITA but everything came out great. I'll get a picture or two tomorrow and post since we all like pictures.

Glad it worked out so well for you.
Looking forward to the pics.
Fogs or driving lights?

Fastenal has anchors for sheet metal. I use them to anchor shelves in work vans. Drywall anchors wont work unless your bumper is as thick as a sheet of drywall.

Back