• Register Today It's free!

Lincoln Aviator Transmission

MtnMan

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Eddie Bauer
ok I have read numerous times on here that the Aviator Transmission is a 5r55, but somewhere on this forum someone had mentioned it was indeed not a 5r55 but another type. I think possibly a zf. I have searched high and low and cant find that post, so Aviator experts whats the slush box behind that motor ? Also reliability wise what issues have you had ? I worry if its a 5r55 it doesn't seem to hold up well with the 4.6l in the explorers of that era let alone the more powerful version in the Aviator, so yet another question. Aviator owners what mileage do you have and any rebuilds ?

I currently Drive a 09 Eddie Bauer 4.0l I love it it is my work ride, I sold my Grand Cherokee Limited and am looking at a Mountaineer or Aviator, so heres a Mopar guy starting to like blue ovals.....

its a 5r55. My mom has one in her Aviator. 75K miles and still shifts like new. It's russian roulette with these transmissions. I had the same 5r55 in my 03 mounty, and @ 60K had to have new clutch packs and shift solenoids installed. And even after that, I still had some minor 2-3 shift flares.

As a whole, the Aviator is a beast. It's quite quick for a grocery getter (300hp), very quiet cabin, very nice ride. It is easily the nicest SUV I've ever driven, and I've driven escalades, navigators, etc. It's the right size, and the right ride. Seats are ridiculously comfortable too lol.

how about mileage numbers, they rate so dismal, but why if its the same 5r55 but with a higher horse 4.6l you'd think it would pull numbers like explorers mounty's. Is the low mileage because the reviewers driving them wouldn't stay out of the throttle ?

Back