Lock and unlock doors with key - have questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lock and unlock doors with key - have questions

Alan Lloys

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mountaineer V8
This started with me having the wife's 99 Sable serviced. The note came back that the drivers door key lock was inop.
I tested it when she got home and this is what it does:

Twist the key once - the driver doors open. Appears to be mechanical linkage
Twist it again and it unlocks all the doors using the power lock mechanism.
I twist the key the other way and all the doors lock using the power lock.

This all seems pretty good to me and seems to work fine.

For comparison I tested my 08 Mountaineer.

I twist the key once - the drivers door open - again mechanical linkage.
I twist the key again - nothing. ??
I twist the key the other way - only the drivers door locks with the mechanical linkage.

Can someone tell me if this is how it is supposed to be ?
It seems odd that the 9 year older vehicle has better features for the key lock.

Any information is appreciated. I have extended warranty on the vehicle so I would like to know if this is normal or not so I can have it fixed if there is a problem.

Not that I actually ever really use the key. This was the first time I ever tried it on the Mountaineer - and really just did it for comparison.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree that this is a seemingly odd feature to lack but nothing is wrong with your Mountaineer. My grandma's 2009 Explorer XLT (with all the options) behaves the exact same way. The key only mechanically locks and unlocks the driver's door. The other doors are unaffected.

The only reason I realized this is because I'm used to my 2005 Focus which allows me to lock all the doors by turning the key in the driver's door a second time.

correct my 07 mountaineer same thing just works the driver door.

Thanks for the feedback.
I guess that feature got cut for cost saving.

Thanks for the feedback.
I guess that feature got cut for cost saving.

I agree this was a great feature that Ford stupidly did away with. I mean how much could it possibly save? Pennies? My 97 Explorer Sport had it and my wife's 2004 Sable Wagon has it.

I never carry the remote key FOB, because I don't want that big lump of plastic in my pocket all the time. So I just carry the keys in a key wallet. You young-ins know what that is? Ha!

If I forget the keys while working in the garage or some such, at least my 2008 Mountaineer still has the keyless entry touchpad.

Chris

Back