Look what i found, what to do with it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Look what i found, what to do with it?

So i was at the Junk yard, and there was an ambulance hidden in the back. me being me i took the light bar off the roof, but most everything else was torn out already.
Then i opened a roof hatch from inside the cab and i found this..

20120531_193610.jpg

Circuit panels with six 30 / 40 amp relays built into them. the relays are removable. each relay has 3 screws to wire to / from. they are independent of each other too. Looks like everything in that ambulance was wired through this.

20120531_193624.jpg

My Question is what would you do with them? i want to wire up my off road lights and i plan on putting a new audio system in soon. would you even use them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oooohhh!!!! I've seen those things burn down a party bus once!

That being said, I would DEFINATELY find a use for it. Alley lights, fog lights, PA system, tractor beam, machine gun turrets...

Very cool! Definitely use it but just keep it safe. Personally I don't like those screw-down connectors on anything that will be moving/vibrating. If one works its way out and contacts another it could be a bad day. If you can protect it well and make sure the connections are strong it should be fine though.

What are you gonna use the light bar for, and will you use one of those relays to power it?

The control panel for the light bar was already gone. All the halogen bulbs for the light bar were toast. So i can't even see if anything works yet.
The light bar had two power supplies and a circuit board for the strobe of witch i don't know if they work. Since i didn't pay too much for it, ill just make it into another fixit project

To be honest i don't know what im going to do with it when i get it running. The pull a part i got it from only charged me 8.50 for it. Once i get it working i want to get new lenses for it, (all clear) black out half of them and if i ever used it outside of the garage it would be on a trail way off the beaten path. No need to get any tickets.

I ve got all kinds of light bars around, I work at a yard like that, and I've always wanted to do something with them. I know I'd just get in trouble though

That being said, I would DEFINATELY find a use for it. Alley lights, fog lights, PA system, tractor beam, machine gun turrets...

I'm just gonna go ahead and pop this into my signature.
I was rolling for a good 5 minutes, maybe it's just the mood I'm in though.

That sounds like a good idea for the light bar Dano, maybe you should make a recovery truck with winches on all sides, and hydraulic lifts, and all the goodies you can think of, and then, the light bar on top. lol.

as for that relay board, i have no idea. But tractor beam does sound like it would use the most power. So I'm gonna go with tractor beam.

I ve got all kinds of light bars around, I work at a yard like that, and I've always wanted to do something with them. I know I'd just get in trouble though

You happen to be able to pull parts from them (like the bulbs?) because they are ridiculously expensive. as long as you don't get into trouble getting them.

That sounds like a good idea for the light bar Dano, maybe you should make a recovery truck with winches on all sides, and hydraulic lifts, and all the goodies you can think of, and then, the light bar on top. lol.

as for that relay board, i have no idea. But tractor beam does sound like it would use the most power. So I'm gonna go with tractor beam.

You guys are so funny. A tractor beam would be awesome, "Are you stuck?" flick a switch "Nope"

With all the craziness i have planned for this truck i wouldn't be surprised if i ended up with a sub frame with a 2" cable that i could winch myself up a tree with. then all i would need is a good coon dog.

Strobes bulbs aren't that expensive, not much more so than normal xenon bulbs. Many also use high power LEDs. Either way, you can get Strobe kits for around a hundred bucks or less. High quality ones are a couple hundred bucks, but remember, in that cost is the cost of the power supply, which is usually 3/4 of the cost of the kits.

But, remember, strobes are illegal to use on road except for in certain emergency vehicles in most states. Check your local laws.

Those relay boards, while cool, are IMO kinda worthless... I mean, you can use them, but you could just as well make other things that suit whatever you make.

I see what your saying. i am a sucker for unusual things i find in junk yards. even if i end up not using the circuit boards i still got 18 relays for cheap, which will get used either way.

The light bar i picked up is a whelen edge 9000, pre-Led, the specific bulbs for that model are all halogen and run between 25 - 40 bucks a pop. but i didn't think about just wiring in a more modern lighting assembly. that will be something i will take into consideration.
like i said before its just a project right now, i just want to get it working. i love to fix things.

don't worry i don't really know what ill do with it, but i know i wont ever use it for what it was intended to be used for. i.e. wont have it on the truck, or it would be a quick disconnect type deal for way off road / show.

Back