Looking at a new chip and/or supercharger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a new chip and/or supercharger

Soggy

Reaction score
City, State
Tupelo, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
I have a 2001 Sport Trac. I'm currently looking at a new chip and/or supercharger. But I don't want to go to premium fuel. Any ideas?

2001 Sport Trac
Westin Grill Guard, Tail Light Guards (All black)
Titanium KC Driving Lights, Borla Exhaust, K & N Air Filter
5" Television & Tape Player

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Soggy; Hey, welcome to the World's greatest Explorer website! You can find an extremely large amount of information through the search function on this board. As you can see, I have an ST... (that is) a Sport Trac, and if you need information that is specific to the ST, that may not be addressed here, you can check www.mysporttrac.com
However, the connections/information, and people on this board can't be beat! :D

Well I'm pretty sure that you will need premium fuel with the chip or supercharger, but if you can afford the supercharger, I don't think paying a bit more for gas will be that big of deal considering how much you will enjoy all that power.

Welcome!

RTStork is correct in that almost any hi-performance setup requires premium fuel. Unfortunately, there aren't any "bolt-on" supercharger kits available yet for the SOHC motor. I'm assuming you have the SOHC cause I believe all Sporttracs do. Anyway, there's a guy on www.rangerpowersports.com named Brian McLevy (sp?) who supercharged his SOHC. As there aren't any kits, some stuff needs to be machined and manufactured to mate the SC to the motor. This is a roots type blower. You may be able to adapt a centrifugal type easier due to the fact that a plenum doesn't have to be made, just mounting brackets and plumbing.

Your fuel system will also need to be modified to "downgrade" to a returned fuel system. You have a returnless fuel system right now.

Most of the time people get custom chips when they slap an s/c on. However, getting a chip without an s/c will give you noticable power gains. It is recommended that you run premium fuel though.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I recommend you use the search engine to find the threads on my supercharger install. Also, head over to rangerpowersports and look through the 4.0 performance section and on the forums for Brian's install.

Good luck!

Check bbk(www.bbkperformance.com)_they make a good super charger kit, and if anybody out there would know about the supchar it will probubly be the guys that make them

Not to toot my own horn, but the guys at BBK are sometimes hard to get a hold of and I know a lot about their kit after running it for over a year.

Back