Looking for a good set of fog/driving lights...need some info and help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for a good set of fog/driving lights...need some info and help!

I decided I want a set of nice fog lights, to replace my stock ones that are gone, and I want to wire them into the switch thats built into the radio bezel, I dont see where the wires are down around under the bumper...

Also, I wanted to get a good bright set for behind the grill, but I always read about people using relays and diodes or something, ive always just straight up ran power from the batt, to the switch to the lights...(and a fuse obv. lol)

What are a good set of lights, a set for fogs, and a set for behind the grill, and how do I wire them up?
(Basically what purpose does a relay serve?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read the stuff in here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28683
Relays provide full elect. power to the lights and keep the amps. low in the interior where the switch is and fire could be a big problem and high amps. from the lights can fry a switch. Relays are necessary if you care about your ride.
As for lights; PIAA, KC, Hella (not optima) are never bad. You get what you pay for.

Are relays hard to wire up? Lol

I understand now, basically the power goes to them, then the switch just tells the relay to open up and let the power flow, unlike having the power flowing through the small switch.

I got it now :D Are there different style relays and sizes and whatnot?

There are loads of different types of relays, but the type commonly used for wiring is a 30 or 40A Bosch relay.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3020762

They look like this.

Some have 4 pins (signal in(pin 85), signal out(Pin 86), Power In (Pin 30), Power out(Pin 87a)), others have an additional pin (Pin 87a) that is live when the relay is in the off position. It turns off when a signal is received.

These are SUPER EASY to hook up.

Get a good quality light kit (Hella, Bosch, etc.), and it will come with the wiring, relay, and everything you need.

sounds good lol

its easy to wire once you start doing it.

one tip i would recommend is go buy some wire loom at an auto store, and run all the exposed wire through the loom, that will keep it safe and avoid shorts of any kind

Back