• Register Today It's free!

looking for a mp3

johnnyv

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Ladies and gents. I like to replace my regular factory cd changer for a good quality cd/mp3 player. Do I have to replace the radio too? any suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. Yes you do.

Unless you find a Changer that plays MP3s and is compatible with the stock head unit(I don't know of any)

I've been using a Premier (upper end pioneer) DEH-P750MP for about two years now and all i can say is the thing rocks! It plays MP3's, WMA files, set up for cd changers (these will read MP3 discs), XM ready, has an awesome display that'll play lil short movie deals and are user changable so you can load your own videos or pictures made by their OEL screensaver program u can download off of their site. When i bought it, i think the retail was around 289 but crutchfield.com has a newer version of this for 219.

You've got mail.

Sounds like a good deal. I found a Kenwood music keg for my Mountaineer, so that I can keep my factory head unit. The special Ford application music keg is very expensive, at $700+ retail. I found a used one(20GB) for less than $400. It plugs into the changer wire, and plays MP3's and WMA's. Good luck,

I have the kenwood KDC-MPV5025 which plays MP3s and it's awsome. I have 7 CDs in my truck each with 15-20 albums on them. It plays CDRs like a champ. I've had it for about 2 years and never had much of a problem with it and because of how compressed MP3 files are, I hardly ever have the damn thing skip on me. Before the explorer it was in a 2004 ranger FX4, never skiped in that even the time when I hit a tree and totaled it.

ElBeau said:
never skiped in that even the time when I hit a tree and totaled it.

...I'm speechless. The only thing I can think of to say to that is that it has some DAMN NICE skip protection.

TTG said:
...I'm speechless. The only thing I can think of to say to that is that it has some DAMN NICE skip protection.

Tell me about it. The guy who came out to see if I was okay told me to turm my stereo down. I was all flustered and **** but it went from the pic below to my explorer and still works like a champ.
HPIM0529.jpg

LMAO! Looks like that might have left a small mark.

I'm never gonna have a Diving flag license plate, they're too much like targets. On the good side you hit it with perfect accuracy.

That's too funny. "Are you OK?" "What? I can't hear you!" "Turn your music down!"

TTG said:
I'm never gonna have a Diving flag license plate, they're too much like targets. On the good side you hit it with perfect accuracy.

That's too funny. "Are you OK?" "What? I can't hear you!" "Turn your music down!"

Prety much. When the bag went off it burnt a hole thru my favorite shirt and burnt my stomach all to ****. That and I had CDs on my visor so when I slid I cut my head and put some scratches in it. There was 4 marks all perfectly spaced apart and I blew out the sharpie on my visor so I had black ink all over my head. If I do something, I do it good.

Which head unit do you have? I am assuming the audiophile? I have the basic factory and was wondering if a keg would be compatable....

CDW6212R said:
Sounds like a good deal. I found a Kenwood music keg for my Mountaineer, so that I can keep my factory head unit. The special Ford application music keg is very expensive, at $700+ retail. I found a used one(20GB) for less than $400. It plugs into the changer wire, and plays MP3's and WMA's. Good luck,

Back