Looking for a new tow vehicle

thebrakeman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Canton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
We are shopping for our first Explorer (or Mountaineer) in preparation for upgrading to a larger camper (from a popup). To give us the most capability, I am limiting the search to 2006+ with V8 and factory towing package. Need 3rd row seats, too. My questions:
1. Does the 6-speed's OD lockout button lock out only 6th, or does it force you all the way down to 4th. I like 6-speeds that let you hold any gear (Outlook, Acadia, etc), so you are not forced choose between a hunting trans, and running at too high rpm.
2. In light of the above, how have people found this vehicle as a tow vehicle, when pushing towards the limits?
3. I found an '07 Mounty absolutely loaded with 102,000 miles for only $14,900. Premier AWD, DVD, Nav, V8, Class III/IV, etc. Assuming it checks out at the mechanic, I think it's a good risk, as it's certainly highway miles. Only problem is that is has the 6-passenger seating. This would be a downer for us, as we often take trips with our 3 girls and the in-laws. So...if I find a Mounty at the junkyard with a leather bench, is it an easy swap? Is there a market on this site for people wanting to go to the quad seating that might want to swap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just picked up the '07 Mounty for test drive. He said I would have it for the day. Very nice. So far everything works. Seems to have every available option. Still has both sets of wireless headphones and remote in the console.

For the middle seats, I'd probably need to go to JY if I wanted to swap out. That's optional, and not a big deal.

The transmission:
In general, it shifts nice, and not too much drama as it does a double kick-down for passing. However, at highway speeds in 6th, when I tip in gently to see when a single kick-down occurs, the drivetrain is really shuddering before it shifts. I tried this on surface streets (6th gear at @ 45mph cruise), and I actually heard a "clack". I was able to do this consistently.

Anyone know if there is a software upgrade to address anything like this, or could this be a sign of a tranny problem? I hope to testdrive a similar truck with less miles to see if it does the same.

Would anyone with an '06 or '07 have any heartburn over a friend buying such a vehicle (3.5 years old with 102k miles), assuming the trans is OK?

I would tell the friend to look for lower mileage. I like it for towing my 3000# boat but I would probably go to a pickup or expedition for over 5000#

you sound like you would be better off with an expedition if you want to tow a camper and carry 7 passengers at the same time.

We are shopping for our first Explorer (or Mountaineer) in preparation for upgrading to a larger camper (from a popup). To give us the most capability, I am limiting the search to 2006+ with V8 and factory towing package. Need 3rd row seats, too. My questions:
1. Does the 6-speed's OD lockout button lock out only 6th, or does it force you all the way down to 4th. I like 6-speeds that let you hold any gear (Outlook, Acadia, etc), so you are not forced choose between a hunting trans, and running at too high rpm.
2. In light of the above, how have people found this vehicle as a tow vehicle, when pushing towards the limits?
3. I found an '07 Mounty absolutely loaded with 102,000 miles for only $14,900. Premier AWD, DVD, Nav, V8, Class III/IV, etc. Assuming it checks out at the mechanic, I think it's a good risk, as it's certainly highway miles. Only problem is that is has the 6-passenger seating. This would be a downer for us, as we often take trips with our 3 girls and the in-laws. So...if I find a Mounty at the junkyard with a leather bench, is it an easy swap? Is there a market on this site for people wanting to go to the quad seating that might want to swap?

We got an '08 Mounty V8 with factory Class III/IV tow and it does just fine pulling a horse trailer with a total of around 5000+ lbs in the hills of PA. Gas mileage when pulling the trailer is off quite a bit but that is to be expected. OD button just locks out the 6th gear, from what I can see, but you can downshift the console shifter for lower gears. Haven't seen any hunting for gears going on, though. There were some recalls or TSB's on the transmission in '06-'07, as I recall, that reprogrammed them to be less abrupt on shift changes. Check and see if that has been done.

If you have the 3rd row seats, those are the hard ones. I would think it easier to swap out the center row for a bench (which is what we have).

=Vic=

I would also look for lower mileage since my '06 has 74,x.. miles and that's probably more than average. It tows really well, but I've probably only had in the range of 3000 pounds on it and it tows that with absolutely no problem, and it actually made the ride smoother. I'm pretty sure with OD off it does knock it down to 4th seeing how high the RPMs went, which doesn't make much sense to me but I guess if you are really towing some heavy stuff it would make more sense. I normally leave OD on on the highway but I'm not in a very hilly area.

Thank you all very much. I few clarifications:
We tow our 3000 lbs popup today with a V6 minivan, and it does just fine. No need for a truck for only 3000 lbs, keeping in mind we live in Michigan, and don't plan any cross-country trips. 8300 lbs GCVWR, and we travel at about 8000 lbs actual GCVW.

Camping would just be me, wife, and 3 girls. When we go somewhere with 7 passengers, that wouldn't be camping. We just want the option for 7 people when not towing.

PS - I already found a perfect matched 2nd row bench from an '07 Mounty on large ebay salvage company. Hopefully I can find one locally, and just do a direct swap. But at least I know they are out there at the salvage yards.

The V8 does an excellent job towing. I tow a 5500lb boat with it and am very happy. Its stable, powerful, and does a good job stopping the load. I did read somewhere that OD OFF shuts off gear 5, and 6. I'll have to check that out tonight.
That price seems a little high for such high miles. I bought an 07 mountaineer AWD V8 Premier with 31K miles for $18,900 in May from Carmax. Not as loaded as the one you're looking at, but enough for me.
Anyway, I think the Explorer/Mountaineer is one of the last true midsized "utility" vehicles. Good luck!

OD locks out both 6th and 5th. I really with there was a way to hold 5th gear...

I have an '06 EB with the 4.6 and towed a '67 Mustang filled with parts from Yuma to Phoenix, AZ. The towing on flat land is great, getting pretty decent mileage. When up and down hill, the OD off locks both 5&6. I found this useful... Have not noticed 5th gear to be much of any use. As for the trans upgrade. Yes there was a recall on the '06, not sure about the '07 for both shifter and transmission software upgrade. I drive mainly in city streets. I have the 18" wheels with 255/255R18 Falken Ziex S/TZ04 Tires. They are a little lower profile tire and a little wider. The lower tire I have noticed to take off from stop light to stop light a little better. Sure keeps up with a V8 Mustang pretty nice.

Back