Looking for a shop in NY/NJ/PA able to rebuild timing on 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for a shop in NY/NJ/PA able to rebuild timing on 4.0

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
This is just theoretical for now, but based on the weird noises coming from our 07 4.0 v6, I may be looking at the timing job on it. The body is in very good condition, new tires, new tranny 16k ago, so it's a keeper LOL

My approach would be to pull the engine out which I can do, and deliver it to a shop who knows how to do the timing job on these. This way I save on the R/R labor.
Around here, the shops just get a used one from a junkyard, or call Jasper. Neither options works for me.
Or if I knew a Ford tech who could come to my house, that would be an option too.

Thanks for any responses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if they would do it if you brought your motor into them, but two engine shops by me that certainly could do the work: Headmasters on route 46 in Saddle Brook, and AP Auto In Ackerman Ave in Clifton.

Both are about 15 miles south on Garden State Parkway from NY border.

I just hit 150,000 on my bought new 2006 Eddie Bauer 4.0L, And I’m starting to wonder if my original trans might actually outlast the motor.

Reverse slips and shudders, but only if I hit the gas aggressively. 2-3 shift often flares. Both have been happening for about 2 years.

I’ve got some strange noises at idle for the first few minutes on a cold start, but somehow I don’t thing it’s timing chains. Sounds more like a cracked flywheel slightly rubbing but been doing it for over a year now

Thanks Mike for the contacts.
Heamasters looks definitely good.

I also wonder if my flex plate is making all that noise, and not the chains.
The first tranny lost the reverse and 4th and 5th gears, and it was struggling 1-3.
It's just a shame about 4.0 / 5R55S combo, these cars still look good and do a good job after so many years.

Primary crank to jackshaft tensioner sounds like change ...keys ...only when cold

Is there an easy way for me to post a short audio file from my phone to this thread? I see where I could attach a video, which I could make tomorrow, but I have an audio file in my phone ready ultimate go, If someone can walk me though it, we can compare

Make a YouTube vid then post the link

Back