• Register Today It's free!

Looking for advice on buying

1 Broke Dad

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello. I am looking at purchasing an Explorer for my wife and I wanted to check in and see if there are any certain years or options that I should avoid. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are in the section for model years 2006-2010 or "4th generation" Explorers. Is this the age bracket of used Explorers you are considering (1-5 years old)?

Yes. Pretty much anything newer than 2002.

Thanks.

Ok and yes this last generation of body-on-frame/truck Explorers (4th gen) is generally reliable and robust for most. My recommendation is the optional 4.6 V8 that comes with 6 speed tranny, power and refinement is much better and fuel economy slightly better than standard 4.0 V6.

Agreed- for the difference in mileage (virtually nil) I'd get the more robust V8...

I would stay away from the 06 v6 models. they are prone to having a bad radiator.

New member, just joined the group. Wish I had known about this website 3 weeks ago! I just bought an 06 have had it 2 weeks and now it is back at the dealer for a (wait for it!) NEW RADIATOR!.

I noticed fluid on the garage floor about a week ago, good news is dealer is in process of changing radiator now for free. While it's in there I am having them flush out the tranny fluid since they don't know when for sure it was last done.

New member, just joined the group. Wish I had known about this website 3 weeks ago! I just bought an 06 have had it 2 weeks and now it is back at the dealer for a (wait for it!) NEW RADIATOR!.

I noticed fluid on the garage floor about a week ago, good news is dealer is in process of changing radiator now for free. While it's in there I am having them flush out the tranny fluid since they don't know when for sure it was last done.

Congrats on the new Explorer, welcome.

How many miles on your 06 Explorer? What did dealer quote for charge on tranny fluid change?

Back