• Register Today It's free!

Looking for Can bus diagram

Rattlecan

Reaction score
City, State
Sultan, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
PIU 2013
I'm pulling up some Can bus error codes from the OBDII.
Specifically: U01; U04; U21; U30.
These error codes seem to indicate improper voltage or shorts on the Can bus.
This is a flooded vehicle, so my thought is that there may be a wiring connector or junction with water in it.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram and a drawing showing the location of connectors with the Can bus system?

Also, the vehicle starts and drives fine, but has the "Service Advancetrak" and other CEL's. I've downloaded the Forescan software and have a OBDII-to-USB adaptor on order.

Thanks,
Rattlecan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for that link. Those diagrams are exactly what I was looking for.

I still could use a drawing that shows the location of the modules and electrical connectors.

Your error codes aren't any longer than that?
I have the 2014 non-PIU Explorer shop manual.

DTC1.png

'holic, thanks for the info.

Yes, unfortunately my cheapo phone app, DashCommand, only reads and displays the U codes as I listed above. I'm using a OBD2-to-WiFi adaptor. It, and DashCommand, works well for gauges and P trouble codes, but U codes and ABS codes seem to be beyond it's capabilities.

Does anyone here use a better OBD2-to-WiFi or Bluetooth adaptor and a better, user-friendly app for iPhone or Windows PC? Something that will fully read these U commands and ABS codes would be a great help.

I have another adaptor on order, OBD2-to-USB, and have downloaded the Forscan tool.
But, something with a user-friendly GUI, like DashCommand, would be helpful.

Thanks again,
Rattlecan

Rattlecan, There could be very likely be in impedance connections due to corrosion in the connections thus causing latency and canbus communications failures

Expo, I believe you're correct. I'd like to have a body wiring drawing that shows where the electrical connectors are located, and their number that corresponds with the wiring diagram.
That would help me pinpoint this issue, rather than just taking apart every connector on the car.
This is pretty old school, a '69 442 project, but someone here must have something like this for the Explorer:
upload_2018-2-27_6-53-17.png
upload_2018-2-27_6-53-17.png

RC - I have the 15 wiring book.. let me check it out when I get home this evening and see what I can find..

My ODB2-to-USB adaptor arrived and I was able to pull codes using the FORScan program. I scanned for codes, saved to a txt file, cleared the codes, then saved the new codes:
RCM B1400:28-8B Second row passenger side seatbelt sensor; Malfunction indicator lamp is on for this DTC
RCM U3000:4908B Control Module
ABS U452:68-AB Invalid data received from Restraints Control Module
PSCM U0452:22-OA Invalid data received from RCM
PSCM U0452:00-OA Invalid data received from RCM

It looks like the wiring or connectors to the RCM may be faulty, and possibly the 2nd row seatbelt side sensor.
Tomorrow I'll disconnect the battery, disconnect the RCM, clean all contacts, coat with dialectric grease, clear codes and try again.
FORScan was very simple to use. Great product.

Is the RCM under the center console, closest to the dashboard?

thanks,
Rattlecan

Well, today was a pretty good Explorer day!

I removed the center console and found the RCM. I disconnect the battery and disconnected the RCM. The connectors were a bit wet. The circuit board inside the RCM sits on a foam pad that was also damp.
I dried the RCM pieces overnight in house, and the harness in the car with a warm air blower. I then cleaned the connectors with spray contact cleaner and waited for that to dry.
I reinstalled the RCM, reconnected the battery, and fired it up. No CEL's or "Service Advancetrak" messages!
I ran the Forscan app again, cleared the stored error codes, and took it for a 20 mile drive.
No CEL's or error messages on the dashboard. I ran Forscan again and no codes at all!

It was also a rare warm & sunny day in the PNW. I took my '69 442 convertible for drive as well.

Thanks for all your help,
Rattlecan

Might want to figure out where the water came from....

If you still follow this feed...

I need to tap the always-on power feed to the map lights - not the side activated by the open door but the leg that is always hot. I need to provide power to an always-on dashcam.

TIA

If you still follow this feed...

I need to tap the always-on power feed to the map lights - not the side activated by the open door but the leg that is always hot. I need to provide power to an always-on dashcam.

TIA

How-To: Mirrortap install for 2016+ Explorer (for Radar Detector / Dash Cam)

This should help you. This thread is not addressing connections except for where they are throwing codes, and the OP is looking to find where these connections may be; but I can see where the diagram could answer your question. Hope it helps.

Back