• Register Today It's free!

looking for ls diff rebuild kit

slickemhoundd

Reaction score
City, State
Glassboro, southern jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 5.0
I wasnt sure where to find i rebuilt kit for the limited slip or i would be fine with a trac lok rebuild kit. When i rebuild the rears and throw the gears in i figured i mind as well rebuild the the dif and possibly tighten her up a little bit. Appreciate the pointers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a Detroit Locker I might part with.... how about those pics of the Bronco. ;)

Charging the camera up, finally found the cable!

I would pull the limited slip out and take it apart and make sure the center section is good as many times when they go bad they ruin the center section in the axle gear area, making a complete replacement necessary.

Summit has two kits to rebuild them... The standard is like $67 and the carbon fiber(one I just bought) is $107...

Not to say the center section isn't bad but unless I'm at full flex or one wheel off the ground I'm still getting wer to both wheels. I'm just looking to freshen and get more out of.it with rebuilding my axles and forking out for a locker (which I'd love) ill have to check out summit right now

DSCF2078.jpg

^mmmmmm..... id need an open carrier to

Summit has two kits to rebuild them... The standard is like $67 and the carbon fiber(one I just bought) is $107...

Cant findem for the life of me, any chance of a link?

Ha, didn't eat yet so I'm a little loopy

How bad was it in the street

How bad was it in the street

This one never saw the street. Its got about 2-300 off-road only miles on it.

I ran my other one (28 spline) on the street in my 89 Ranger, on 35s, as a daily driver for about 4 years. It was fine 99% of the time, but I found out not to try to power around a turn in the snow. It would turn you right around. As long as you drove like you were in snow (when you WERE in snow), I never had a problem.

Yes, it felt "jumpy" in a low speed, full turn. (into a parking spot.)
Yes, you could hear it unlock sometimes.

What I've seen is people who complain about clunking, jumpiness, etc are WAY over exaggerating. I've ran Detroits for 200,000+ miles and anytime I regear something I own, I'll put one in.

Would it be enough noise to make the ol lady aggravated? That all id be worried about. She drives the truck also

Would it be enough noise to make the ol lady aggravated? That all id be worried about. She drives the truck also

:dunno:

What does she drive now?

If she's used to a Mercedes, then yes she will.

If she's used to a lifted truck, no she wont.

In my Ranger (35" Super Swampers, 4.0l, flowmaster 2 chamber, etc.) my wife says..." your trucks loud." She was used to her Buick Regal GS. The only thing you heard was the Eaton 'charger.

All we have is the explorer so shes used to it, i just dont want her thinkin its falling apart

Back