Looking to buy. Want a 09 or 10 with a V8. What do I lose going older? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy. Want a 09 or 10 with a V8. What do I lose going older?

Brushape

Reaction score
City, State
Lamberton, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F150 XLT
Like I said I want to get a 09 or 10 Explorer with a V8. They are really hard to find so what do I lose with an older Explorer or going to a Mountaineer? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About 1.5 years ago I intended to replace my 3rd gen 2002 XLT with a 5th gen Explorer. After looking into them I came to realize they are mostly pavement queens with front wheel drive based drivelines. They are nicely appointed but not very off road capable. Then I found that the V6 models have, for me, a deal breaking water pump issue. It is an internal design which dumps the coolant into the crankcase when it fails. This happens often enough that a class action lawsuit was brought against Ford over it which Ford won.

So with the 5th gen models off the table I started looking into alternatives and focused on the 4th gen models. To make a long story short, my research lead me to start looking for 2009-2010 V8 models. My reasons for this are as follows:
  • The V8 is more reliable than the V6 and doesn't have the timing chain issues.
  • The V8 doesn't require removal of the engine to replace the chains and guides, if necessary, like the V6 does.
  • The V8 has the six speed transmission which is more robust and reliable than the five speeds used in the V6s.
  • The V8 gets the same gas mileage as the V6 and has a good bit more power.
  • The 2009 and 2010 V8 models have the newer design spark plugs so the chance of breaking them during replacement is lower.
  • The wiring insulation appears to be better and does not deteriorate like it can on the 2006-2008 models.
  • The 2009 and 2010 V8 models have the beefier 6R80 transmission that has a higher torque rating than the 6R60 transmissions in the 2006-2008 V8 models.
It took about 2-3 months to find the 2010 Mountaineer I have now. It had around 100k miles but it met my criteria of being well appointed, a V8, very good condition, tow package and being rust free underneath. I bought for $6,500 it knowing it needed a radiator, tires and a full fluid change minus the break fluid. So far the only unexpected major repair has been replacing the AC compressor. To date, I have a little over $9k into it altogether. It drives very well, gets up to 22 mpg on the highway, the six speed transmission is smooth as butter and the V8 has plenty of power to move it along. I am very pleased with it and think the 2009-2010 V8 models are arguable the best years for the Explorers/Mountaineers overall. The 4th gens are the last ones to share their frame and driveline with the F150 trucks which is a big part of why I think these model years with the V8 are about the best mix of comfort, reliability, off road capability and fuel economy.

To find one I suggest being patient and willing to travel, if necessary, to look outside the rustbelt for a good version to buy. I was very lucky and found mine on Fakebook market place locally. Fortunately, I reside in an area where the roads are rarely salted which is where it lived its entire life and was a two owner vehicle. Lastly, get a Carfax report on any one you plan to buy as this will tell you where a vehicle has spent the majority of its life and give you some info on maintenance history and might indicate collision damage.

The Explorer frame is native to it. The Expedition, while based off of the truck, also has enough differences that it may as well be said to have it's own distinct frame. For that matter, I think the Expy and the trucks started having more frame commonality with the '18+, depending on who's info you read lol.

I will say this...a V8 4th gen Explorer/Mounty will safely tow more than a '92-'96 1/2 ton, even with a 351. THAT is personal experience ;)

eventually i’m going to replace my 05 limited v8 with an 08-10 limited… my criteria is pretty specific:
power running boards
sync system
2nd row bucket seats
tan interior
v8
low-ish miles

eventually i’m going to replace my 05 limited v8 with an 08-10 limited… my criteria is pretty specific:
power running boards
sync system
2nd row bucket seats
tan interior
v8
low-ish miles
Should probably gather some parts for those running boards, as I bet they will become scarce in the not too distant future.

Should probably gather some parts for those running boards, as I bet they will become scarce in the not too distant future.
already are lol… usually with ones that don’t work some grease on all the moving parts get em workin again

already are lol… usually with ones that don’t work some grease on all the moving parts get em workin again
By pure luck bought mine with power running boards. It had around 100k miles when I bought it. I noticed they starting to raise and lower a little slower after it went through its first winter as the owner. I watched the FordTechMakeuLoco video about servicing them and followed his recommendations. It worked like a charm and the running boards function just like new now. I do this procedure on them in the spring and fall to keep them running smooth. I hose them off when I get a chance during the winter. Before winter snow storms, or off roading, I set them to not deploy so they are not fighting built up ice/snow or mud to operate. I think they are fairly durable if they are maintained properly. I have been tempted to buy the motor mechanisms for them (while they are still available) to keep encase I have one go out.

They are already scarce. Parts from the salvage yards for the are hella expensive.

They are already scarce. Parts from the salvage yards for the are hella expensive.
very true. i watched his video too and maintain my dad’s 2020 f-250 king ranch and my stepmom’s 2019 expedition, both have them.

The Explorer frame is native to it. The Expedition, while based off of the truck, also has enough differences that it may as well be said to have it's own distinct frame. For that matter, I think the Expy and the trucks started having more frame commonality with the '18+, depending on who's info you read lol.

I will say this...a V8 4th gen Explorer/Mounty will safely tow more than a '92-'96 1/2 ton, even with a 351. THAT is personal experience ;)
learned something new.... i thought when the expedition went to the 3.5eb it became uni-body but no its pretty much back on the f-150 frame

yeah tell me about it... my parents went from a 2004 to a 2016 although an all around better vehicle its more like a car so when my 07 started to chain rattle too bad i parked it and thought about explorers again but found a 2016 sho which is an explorer but even more car because its a car.... i knew about the 500 problems the 4.0 and 5r55 had before i bought that so i embraced all the sweet problem i can now try to avoid.... water pump, chains, PTU,RDU and turbo failure

depending on what you want to do with the explorer i wouldn't avoid pre u625 model if you can score a sport or platinum with in your price range because they are fun..... $500 for a tune and its night and day off to the races!.... dont fear the 3.5eb or the 6r65

Go for a 9-10, ideally a 10. Ford really ironed out most of the big issues by those years, stick with the V8's they get very similar fuel economy but have loads more power and utility. As someone who has a love hate relationship with my power running boards (they work well if I remember to keep lubricating them lol), I wouldnt pass over a solid 2010 v8 limited just because it didn't have them.

Back