Loose gear shifter... and what is this bolt? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loose gear shifter... and what is this bolt?

Update*** After about 6 months the shifter got real sloppy, so I removed the lower covers, and inspected it, both had began to loosen agian, and I was able to turn them by hand. So this time I took them out, and put a drop or two of the blue locktite, so hopefully that will prevent them from coming loose again, update again in another 6 months or so. I think I have more of an issue then other due to my stereo, so this shouldn't happen to most people in as little as 6 months.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i tightened my bolts down a couple years ago (including using locktite) but they loosened up again it was time to do the job over. however, when i looked, i found that one of them was totally missing. i have other cars, so i was able to take the remaining one down to the hardware store to match, but that might be difficult for those of you who only have the one explorer/mountaineer. so since it's not already listed elsewhere in this thread, for anybody else:

The bolts are M6x1.0 x 20mm. If you get it in a cap head screw, it uses the same T30 driver as the OEM ones (convenient) or an allen key. I replaced them both so they would match.

Ford probably should have used bolts with captive lock washers from the factory. I added lock washers this time, and between them and locktite blue, I really doubt I will have to do this job again. Total cost: 85 cents.

Everybody likes pics

Old and busted:
oldbusted.jpg

New Hotness:
newhotness.jpg

Thanks for this post!
This just happened to me yesterday bolt dropped out fell on my boot. got it fixed in 10 minutes.

Old thread but I decided to check these bolts for the first time yesterday. Lo and behold, both bolts were loose. One was really loose and probably about to fall out. I used an allen key and was done in about five minutes. I had removed the lower trim panel (the one below the steering wheel), but I think you could do it without even removing that.

The shifter column didn't really feel loose before that would indicate a problem, although it is certainly tighter now that the bolts are nice and tight.

Sorry to pick up an old thread from its gave. But I bought a 98 Explorer 4.0 and the same night I bought it my timing through. Lucky me.. And sense I cant find an engine close to me. And everyone on Craigslist are stubborn and dont like to reply to texts/emails. I came across another 98 Exploder. A co-worker of mine told me her parents where gonna scrap theirs (Shift linkage bolt came out, now it wont start) And sense Im good friends with the Family They're hopefully gonna hand her on over to me! But Id like to know if this bolt and it not being aligned right would be the cause of it not starting? The owner of it now said it wont start do to a security matter (But shes not a mechanic!) Let me know, Thanks
And sorry again for bringing this back up!

Sorry to pick up an old thread from its gave. But I bought a 98 Explorer 4.0 and the same night I bought it my timing through. Lucky me.. And sense I cant find an engine close to me. And everyone on Craigslist are stubborn and dont like to reply to texts/emails. I came across another 98 Exploder. A co-worker of mine told me her parents where gonna scrap theirs (Shift linkage bolt came out, now it wont start) And sense Im good friends with the Family They're hopefully gonna hand her on over to me! But Id like to know if this bolt and it not being aligned right would be the cause of it not starting? The owner of it now said it wont start do to a security matter (But shes not a mechanic!) Let me know, Thanks
And sorry again for bringing this back up!

Yes it will mine wouldnt start I had to hold the shifter in park, if the explorer they are giving you wont shift at all or its stuck between park and rev it may not start. This is what happened in my case

Yes it will mine wouldnt start I had to hold the shifter in park, if the explorer they are giving you wont shift at all or its stuck between park and rev it may not start. This is what happened in my case

The loose shifter causes an issue with the neutral safety switch. The transmission must be fully in park or neutral or the ignition will not power the starter. Basically turn the key and nothing happens. No clicks or anything else. If the shifter is just loose, try turning key to on then with foot on brake shift all the way to D2 and back up smartly to P. Hold the lever up and turn the key. Usually will be enough, or can try to center it around neutral and turn the key to get it started. Obviously check to be sure the bolts are there and tight. If anything would drop by a harware store and grab three to take with you just in case they are gone. If the shifter bolt are tight but moving the shifter does nothing, then the linkage under the truck on the transmission is likely broken or loose. Not a big deal to hook on or replace other than need to get under the truck with some light.

Thanks guys! But I got her going, put it in natural and it started right up! But only when it wanted too. So I toom the bolt that fell out on the linkage from my old one and it's now in the new one. Also had to replace the starter (swapped it from the old as I did with the bolt) and now everything's good. I have a slight tick that to me sounds like exhaust leak, and I drove it a little today and had a tad death wobble when stopping fast. Only other issue is it has a rough idle and sometimes stalls when it's cold. Once at operating temp it does great.

Thanks! Just had this problem on my 1997 Explorer V6 SOHC. I thought it was a starter or solenoid problem but decided to check this forum first and I'm glad I did. This was an easy fix.

I just went to fix this this morning and come to find out where the bolt screws in snapped in half. So I need the name of the part the bracket bolts onto so that I ca order the part for my steering column. I'd add a pic but new to the forum and not sure how. I have fixed a ton of things on my truck myself ball joint, bearing, evap canaister, you name probably done it. But this is the first time I have actually cussed my 5.0 truck. I know it's got a lot of life left and don't want to buy a new car if I can order this piece.

The bolt on my '97 just fell out last night. I have it but my fat hands are making it hard to get it in. Is it necessary to remove the lower panel? Seems that some people just reach up and get the bolt in. I am assuming that you have to be on your back. Appreciate any tips. Don't want to take in to a shop. Thanks

I remove the driver's seat so I can get up there easier. If you use a light and a mirror, you can see where it goes. Good luck.

I had basically all the same symptoms as everyone one else except that I did not find a screw on the floor. What I found was a small part of a seemingly lead alloy cone about 3/8 inch deep (top to bottom) and about the same across the top. I say "about" because this alloy cone was split vertically in half from top to bottom. In the center of this conical piece was threaded hole to take a small screw with about a 3/16" shaft (possibly the same screw shown in the photos in this thread). I found no screws and only 1/2 of the cone which to me is most likely an insert of some kind. Vehicle is a 2001 Explorer XLT 5.0 engine. Shift lever originally would go from drive to reverse but since turning key off first time, it won't move at all. Key did come out. Any help/suggestions on this problem, especially what this metal cone may be would be appreciated.

Mine's been doing the not going into park bit this week, when I park in my driveway and jam the lever into park it makes a grinding sound and tries to roll back down the driveway if the parking brake isn't set. When it cools off a little bit more this evening I'm going to go out and hunt for this little bolt and see if tightening it fixes the problem, I really REALLY hope so, I do not want to get stuck driving my Pontiac.

Got to the bottom of this mystery today. The small metal cone turned out to be a "red herring" as they say. Not a part of a cone insert at all, in actuality it is the outside half of one of the 2 "dog ears" on the indicator shifter shaft which these 2 screws we've all been seeing and talking about screw into. We took the covers, dashboard and shifter, etc apart and heard the screw from the unknown broken shaft rattle out from wherever it had gotten hung up inside the column. My stepson (his vehicle) then went on to remove the drivers seat as he is a very large man. He then got under the dash area and continued the teardown until he saw the damaged shaft and removed it. We are strongly considering putting a floor shift kit or even adapting a used floor shifter from a junk yard wreck on the vehicle as, to my thinking, this route might be the easiest all-around way to go. He needs the car for work so putting it back on the road safe but quickly is a main priority. I'll let you know more soon.

As these 2 bolts seem to always loosen up over time, I strongly recommend using Loctite on the threads when reinstalling them.

^ +1

I just found the torque spec for these screws buried deep in the service manual (under steering column disassembly). These should be torqued to 10-13 ft/lb.

As soon as it gets warm enough again, I'm gonna going to back mine out, put Loctite and lock washers on them this time and then torque them down - if I can get a torque wrench up in there. I've been in their way too many times. Mine loosen up every couple of months. Royal PITA.

And, Ford calls these mysterious screws: "the bolts for the transmission selector lever arm and support."

Sorry to go back on an old thread, but does this apply to an 02 Ex XLT? I got under there. But saw no screws or a place for them....granted it was late with low light.

Sorry to go back on an old thread, but does this apply to an 02 Ex XLT? I got under there. But saw no screws or a place for them....granted it was late with low light.

Don't know about 02, but on my 2000 Explorer XLT it does apply. Had this problem getting worse over last several months:
First the ignition key would not come out unless the shift lever was pushed up,
Then the indicator began being to the right of the letters,
Then the lever began to be more and more loose.
After checking this forum and learning of this common problem and the solution, this morning I fixed it in about 15 minutes. It does take some contortions to get under the dash and reach the screws, but it can be done.
Works great now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick story: I was driving home last night with my stereo up loud (it shakes the dash a lot) and a bolt fell from under the dash onto my foot. Today the shift lever for the transmission has a lot of free play and doesn't want to go all the way into "Park" and the needle doesn't line up with any of the letterers on the dash. I have to pull the lever towards me to get it to move down into "Drive" (actually OD). So, does anyone recognize this bolt as something that would cause my problems if it fell out? Or is this strictly co-incidental? The bolt is about an inch long.

DSCF0004.jpg

Edit by Turdle, because I feel it needs to be in the first post

More information can be found in this thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266031
Does anyone know the name of these bolts? I'm trying to get new ones but the parts store person looks at me like I'm crazy because he can't picture what I'm trying to describe.

Back