Loose gear shifter... and what is this bolt? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loose gear shifter... and what is this bolt?

Anything wrong with socket cap screws, or do they NEED to be OE Ford? M6x1.0x20mm (See page 3 post #42)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wife's car, a 2001 Explorer Sport had the same issue. I installed the screw and tightened the other one (about three complete revolutions) and she is thrilled that it was fixed with some research and time.

Thanks loads!

Just had this happen to me last night. Thankfully it happened when I got home and not at work or anywhere else. 10 minutes of searching and reading, and an hour of fiddling in the dark and it's all better now. Wow, what a difference it made. So much so, I'm going to check on my sisters 99 XLS next weekend.

Thanks everyone!

Thinking this is my issue for mt new 94. Problem is from my shifter arm, all moving parts seem to be internal to a steering column tube. Am I looking in the wrong place? I can't have a unicorn.

i tightened my bolts down a couple years ago (including using locktite) but they loosened up again it was time to do the job over. however, when i looked, i found that one of them was totally missing. i have other cars, so i was able to take the remaining one down to the hardware store to match, but that might be difficult for those of you who only have the one explorer/mountaineer. so since it's not already listed elsewhere in this thread, for anybody else:

The bolts are M6x1.0 x 20mm. If you get it in a cap head screw, it uses the same T30 driver as the OEM ones (convenient) or an allen key. I replaced them both so they would match.

Ford probably should have used bolts with captive lock washers from the factory. I added lock washers this time, and between them and locktite blue, I really doubt I will have to do this job again. Total cost: 85 cents.

Everybody likes pics

Old and busted:
View attachment 403458

New Hotness:
View attachment 403459

Thank you so much!!! I've been looking everywhere for this info!!!

Quick story: I was driving home last night with my stereo up loud (it shakes the dash a lot) and a bolt fell from under the dash onto my foot. Today the shift lever for the transmission has a lot of free play and doesn't want to go all the way into "Park" and the needle doesn't line up with any of the letterers on the dash. I have to pull the lever towards me to get it to move down into "Drive" (actually OD). So, does anyone recognize this bolt as something that would cause my problems if it fell out? Or is this strictly co-incidental? The bolt is about an inch long.

View attachment 198830

Edit by Turdle, because I feel it needs to be in the first post

More information can be found in this thread
Screw fell out from under dash & problem going in gear...
I have a 2003 ford explorer and i just found that bolt on floor..

I have a 2003 ford explorer and i just found that bolt on floor..
Looks like you need to crawl under the dash and find the empty hole next to the other gold bolt.

Quick story: I was driving home last night with my stereo up loud (it shakes the dash a lot) and a bolt fell from under the dash onto my foot. Today the shift lever for the transmission has a lot of free play and doesn't want to go all the way into "Park" and the needle doesn't line up with any of the letterers on the dash. I have to pull the lever towards me to get it to move down into "Drive" (actually OD). So, does anyone recognize this bolt as something that would cause my problems if it fell out? Or is this strictly co-incidental? The bolt is about an inch long.

View attachment 198830

Edit by Turdle, because I feel it needs to be in the first post

More information can be found in this thread
Screw fell out from under dash & problem going in gear...
Old thread but same problem - WHERE do you get this bolt? I can't find one! Also, my shift lever is often VERY hard to move, worst of all, sometimes when I get it into Park, it slips backward a little bit, makes a noise before stopping. Is this more damage and will need an actual mechanic to fix? I'm at the point of removing the driver's seat so I can actually get at the shifter & bolt. Help!

Are you missing one, or can’t find it under the column?

Taking the seat out is actually fairly fast, and is easy.

Maybe hers is just loose
Start with the loose or missing bolt
Then move to the gear Selector alignment ...ect

Are you missing one, or can’t find it under the column?

Taking the seat out is actually fairly fast, and is easy.
it's actually gone! O' Reilly's doesnt have one, they seemed confused what it is. Hardware store didn't either. I've read it's a Torx 30, but from pics I've seen here the end has no threads for about 1/4 inch. I have no idea if there is a substitute bolt I could use. And I'm worried about the rolling backwards (with a slight grinding sound) when I actually do get it into Park.

M6 x 1.0 x 20mm

I’ve got these in stainless cap heads, but they’re hex, and not torx.

The unthreaded end is likely for ease of robot assembly. I can send you a stainless version if you’d like. I could even round the end if that’d give you the warm and fuzzies.

just put it back - it's by your left knee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back