Loss of low end power? Transmission slipping? Torque Converter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loss of low end power? Transmission slipping? Torque Converter?

keleko17

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 EB and 1999 XLT
I'm trying to sound intelligent when I start making calls about this issue. My wife told me her 2007 Explorer "died". When I went for a test drive, it seems as if it has no "go" at the low end. I give it gas, and it just seems to slowly creep. If I allow it time, it starts to pick up speed, and seems to shift just fine. But it just doesn't want to get started moving. I haven't checked the fluid level yet, as I didn't have any on hand to add to it, if it was low. But, there is no evidence of a leak, under the vehicle.

It threw a whole boat load of codes when I hooked up Forescan. This was my first experience with Forescan, so bare with me, but these were on the PCM P0713, P0740, P0743, P0748. P0755, P0758, P0760, P0778, P0798, P0960, P0962, P0964, P0966, and P0970. On OBDII only P0743, P0755 and P0760. I assume this is the OBDII codes are the simplified version of the PCM codes.

Can anyone help point me to possible terms to describe this to a local repair shop, so I don't sound like an idiot, and say it won't go when I push the gas pedal? Or if it seems as simple as adding fluid, I'm capable enough to do that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a V8 or a V6?

they are not any sinplified codes. forscan reads mfr specific codes so you get to see more indepth codes as opposed to the common take so to speak. id have to come back to this tmw when i am more than 1/3 awake but iirc the po743 was a trnas related code maybe it was a solenoid???? ahhhh i forget im sleepy bookmarking this for tomorow hope i rememebr... if not reply to this and i will see it!

thsts a boatload of codes! interesting all 3 solenoids are indicating daults

id wonder if theres some wire corossion at play here, these esrly mid 4gs were known for that a bit. just since there are so amny codes from different places maybe the engine baybharness not sure

thsts a boatload of codes! interesting all 3 solenoids are indicating daults

id wonder if theres some wire corossion at play here, these esrly mid 4gs were known for that a bit. just since there are so amny codes from different places maybe the engine baybharness not sure
I need to amend my first statement, that it is changing gears. It doesn't. I think I'm in limp mode, and stuck in third gear or something. Which is why it is slow off the line. I imagine trying to pedal a mountain bike in high gear. It takes a lot of effort to get it moving.

I agree about the corrosion possibly at play. I slide under the car the other day to see if maybe a rodent had chewed through something. I didn't find anything obvious. I have seen where the wiring harness itself might be at fault. But it isn't something I'm prepared to investigate without a more skilled technician pointing me in that direction.

Back