Lost transfer case fluid, can't refill... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lost transfer case fluid, can't refill...

dmaster79

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer XLS 4x4
Here's the deal, on my '93 4wd Explorer, I was attempting to change the transfer case fluid. I went by what the hayes manual said and it was a mistake since they never mentioned being a drain plug as well as a fill plug I assumed they were the same like the front differential. After loosening the drain plug, fluid starting pouring out, as I figured this couldn't be right I tightened the plug up as quickly as I could, but lost probably 3/4 quart of fluid. After searching for a few minutes and taking loose the shift motor harness I find the fill plug of course and knew what I had done. After attempting to remove this plug for 2 hours with no progress, just the rounding of the recessed plug, I have given up for tonight. Since I can't remove this plug I cannot fill it. I need to know if its okay to drive this way for a few days until I can either drill it out or possibly weld somthing to it for more torque? I know it lost at least half of its fluid if not more, I will not be using the 4wd just standard 2wd. Can someone please tell me as soon as possible whether it is okay, since its my primary means of transportation right now!!...Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

puts some pb blaster on your upper & lower drain plugs on the transfer case for a few days repeatedly.. You should be able to get them off, all you need is a 3/8" extension or something with a 3/8" square head and it'll come off. You should be fine since you don't have cv axles, but don't take my word on it at this hour.. reason: chug chug chug

If you drive it without fluid, you WILL damage your xfer case...even in 2WD because you are still turning all the gears in the xfer case except for the front output shaft.

So even in 2wd the transfer case's internal chain still moves along will all the gears also? Guess I'm just wondering how it works since the top fill plug is actually lower then the top of the axle shaft used for 2wd, meaning this axle never really is submersed in fluid, just the front shaft which is lower. I'm not that knowledgeable with 4wd since this is my first, so if you can give me a few pointers on how the electric motor engages the the transfer case which allows the front axle to rotate, it would be helpful...thanks

btw...as far as using a 3/8 ext or rachet it is not possible anymore since the plug is now rounded, even used a allen socket , got a good bite and all it did was round it out even more, making it impossible to really get anything in it now.

I forgot that the transfer case is inline with the driveshaft for the rear.. Just put some pb blaster or wd-40 on the upper & lower drain plugs for a good bit and then use a 3/8" socket extension about 2" long and use a ratchet.. It'll break loose.

You can remove the rear speed sensor next to the output flange and pump in oil there If I remember right there is a metal bracket that has to be removed to pull the sensor out. I've used the hand pump oiling cans to get the fluid in. Many of these have a removeable nozzel that makes the pumping go faster. Just approximate what you lost.

dmaster79 said:
btw...as far as using a 3/8 ext or rachet it is not possible anymore since the plug is now rounded, even used a allen socket , got a good bite and all it did was round it out even more, making it impossible to really get anything in it now.

If it is that far gone, I'd jb-weld an extension into the plug and let it setup completely. lots of pb blaster before trying to remove again. Otherwise buy a pipe tap and drill it out.

Similar situation happened to me a couple of years ago. It was 2-3 days before I found the solution to my problem. I drove it to and from work for 2-3 days. I encountered no problem.

I'm not suggesting you do the same... just merely stating my own personal experience. :)

dmaster79 said:
..I'm not that knowledgeable with 4wd since this is my first, so if you can give me a few pointers on how the electric motor engages the the transfer case which allows the front axle to rotate, it would be helpful...thanks

Follow the link in my sig line on how cars work. It will show you an animated view of the insides of your T-case and drive line as you go in and out of 4x4.

Thanks for all the info guys, helped out alot. Thanks for the visual DeRocka, that was a great animation. Drove my truck over to my dad's house today, only about 12miles, figured it couldn't hurt it that much. Didn't make any noises or anything. Anyways, he looked at it and said, yep it is pretty rounded out. He took my suggestion first and welded an allen socket into the plug, put the rachet on it, and it came out with ease. I think the heat from the weld also helped a bit. What would we do without dad's though sometimes, he's always my last resort. Drained the rest, still had about 1qt in it which is good, and best of all my dad had a plug to go back in it. So its all better now, thanks again for everyone who replied!!

Back