• Register Today It's free!

Louder???

fmaster7

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4
Im thinking of adding one 12 inch sub in a custom box under my back seat and 2 more 6x8's wired as mids.

My current setup is:

(2) Pyle 15 Inch 1400 watt subs
1440 Watt Power Acoustik Amp
500 Watt Rampage Amp
Lanzar 5 Farad Capacitor
Logic 2 to 3 way Crossover
Custom 6 Cubic Foot Ported Box (made to specs of subs)
Custom Amp Rack
(2) 100 Watt Soundstream Tweeters (with bass blockers)
(4) 150 Watt Pioneer 6x8's
Soundstream DVD Player
5 Inch TV

The Crossover makes the subs as lows, the rear door speakers as mids, front door speakers as highs, and tweeters as "ultra highs"

Let me know what you think and if you like my work. Everything is self-done. Im a certified mobile electronics installer.
1992-Ford-Explorer-XLT-3029-1.jpg

1992-Ford-Explorer-XLT-6240.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My opinion-

If you want louder bass, you are better off getting better subs. If you had a better 15 in a ported box, it would probably be louder than the 2 pyles. I'd suggest getting new subs, it will make a world of difference.

BTW, I like the explorer badge there:D

What is the box tuned to?

Also, just another thing to add-putting a 12 under the rear seat, besides being hard to build and fit in the small space, won't be all that effective, because it won't sound as loud being in the middle of the car, rather than the back. What 12" sub were you thinking of that would even be able to be fitted under the rear seat?

My opinion-

If you want louder bass, you are better off getting better subs. If you had a better 15 in a ported box, it would probably be louder than the 2 pyles. I'd suggest getting new subs, it will make a world of difference.

BTW, I like the explorer badge there:D

What is the box tuned to?

Also, just another thing to add-putting a 12 under the rear seat, besides being hard to build and fit in the small space, won't be all that effective, because it won't sound as loud being in the middle of the car, rather than the back. What 12" sub were you thinking of that would even be able to be fitted under the rear seat?

well yes your right, these subs arent the best...but they were great for the money and sound.

It probably would sound better with different ones but keep in mind the box is tuned at every little spec of these subs, and I made it in school so its very special to me lol

The box is tuned at 28 hertz.

And under the seat I have a little bit of room to play with. If I make a box as wide and tall as the seat and aim the sub at the front of the truck it'll be pretty loud. I dont even know why I want to go louder because these pyles are rediculously loud.

Idk about the 12 yet, something that will work best in a sealed enclosure.
And thanks about the badge, not many ppl notice.

one quality 15 would rape what you have now...if you want louder get better quality equipment.

Also if you want loud than your enclosure is designed and built ALL WRONG. If you want loudness you do NOT tune to 28Hz. If you want loud tune between 36-42Hz. If you want loud you would have much more port area. Its all about the design.

This is my enclosure. Put a good 15 inch sub in there and 500-1000 watts and its loud as balls. Makes ppl think I have two 15's and 2000 watts...no joke.

100_1395.jpg

100_1394.jpg

Oh, you are talking about pulling out the seat bottoms? I thought you were going to try and fit it under the seats.

You might want to consider tuning the box a little higher, 28hz is pretty low, and those subs don't do the best with low frequencies.

I can see what you mean, since you already have the subs, selling them and getting something else would be expensive, but since you are thinking about buying a 12, I think it would be your better option for the long run.

Plus, you could easily re-use the box, most subs that size have more or less the same requirements.

one quality 15 would rape what you have now...if you want louder get better quality equipment.

Also if you want loud than your enclosure is designed and built ALL WRONG. If you want loudness you do NOT tune to 28Hz. If you want loud tune between 36-42Hz. If you want loud you would have much more port area. Its all about the design.

This is my enclosure. Put a good 15 inch sub in there and 500-1000 watts and its loud as balls. Makes ppl think I have two 15's and 2000 watts...no joke.

lol you tune a box to the specs of the subs to be loud. port area and tuning frequency matter on what the little paper says when you buy your subs.

you got a good sub, but no carpet. when you get certified for this stuff, then you can tell me what to tune at.

Oh, you are talking about pulling out the seat bottoms? I thought you were going to try and fit it under the seats.

You might want to consider tuning the box a little higher, 28hz is pretty low, and those subs don't do the best with low frequencies.

I can see what you mean, since you already have the subs, selling them and getting something else would be expensive, but since you are thinking about buying a 12, I think it would be your better option for the long run.

Plus, you could easily re-use the box, most subs that size have more or less the same requirements.

it was either 28 or 32, cant rember at 4am...ill check the subs specs tomorrow, but they sound great in the box weather anybody likes it or not lol

Yeah, I'm not doubting they sound good, I'm just suggesting what I think the best way to get it louder would be. Those pyles do sound good, it's just other subs are a lot more efficient and can handle the power better.

The subs are in phase with each other, right?

lol you tune a box to the specs of the subs to be loud. port area and tuning frequency matter on what the little paper says when you buy your subs.

you got a good sub, but no carpet. when you get certified for this stuff, then you can tell me what to tune at.

Haha..this is complete garbage...You need to get that crap outta here. You need to do your hw and study up on enclosures and design. I wouldn't recommend arguing with me about enclosures. The little piece of paper doesn't mean jack ****. What matters is the T/S parameters and the install. You can build any enclosure to any size or tuning. There is no set guide. Manufactures specs suck 90% of the time anyways.

My enclosure may not have carpet...but I bet it is louder than yours.

You still have much to learn young padawan.

Yeah, I'm not doubting they sound good, I'm just suggesting what I think the best way to get it louder would be. Those pyles do sound good, it's just other subs are a lot more efficient and can handle the power better.

The subs are in phase with each other, right?

yupp

sorry...i came home a little too under the table this morning lol.

aznboi3644 Have you ever made a post that did not turn into a pissing contest?

I agree with him in this case though. Better equipment will get you bigger sound without adding more. Unless all you are after is a big visual presents, you can get more sound using the same amount of space with more efficient drivers.

And tuning a box to 28Hz is probably not the best choice. 28Hz is getting down near subsonic frequencies and it being a ported box with a sharper roll off then a sealed will likely make it feel better then it sounds. Not necessarily a bad thing but you did say you wanted more audible volume

pissing contest...never.

Most ppl that argue with me on here have no idea what they are talking about and still try to argue about bullcrap that they have no understanding of.

aznboi3644 Have you ever made a post that did not turn into a pissing contest?

I agree with him in this case though. Better equipment will get you bigger sound without adding more. Unless all you are after is a big visual presents, you can get more sound using the same amount of space with more efficient drivers.

And tuning a box to 28Hz is probably not the best choice. 28Hz is getting down near subsonic frequencies and it being a ported box with a sharper roll off then a sealed will likely make it feel better then it sounds. Not necessarily a bad thing but you did say you wanted more audible volume

i actually tuned the box to 32hz, i forgot and checked where i wrote it down (inside the box haha)

but i went for both, sound and visual...i didnt want to spend all the cash I had on just my subs, so I did it on subs, mids, highs, and the other components. i hate when people pull next to you and there bumping really loud, but the bass is drowning out what the people are actually singing.

just by everybodys feedback im gonna say screw the idea about the box under the seat and save up for some better subs. something more powerfull but in the range of what my box specs are. and definately 2 more mids before anything though

Back