Low brake fluid light with new brakes help !!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low brake fluid light with new brakes help !!!!!

MRLONDEAU

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 FORD EXPLORER
I am in need for some help on this one.
2006 explorer 145,000 miles about a week ago the Low brake fluid light came on in the information screen and the solid brake light is also illuminated. Prior to this i had noticed some travel in the pedal to the floor.

I checked the fluid level "its full"

I installed all four new rotors & pads.
I installed all four New calipers
I bled the whole system in sequence. (no air bubbles in lines)

Lights are still on and pedal travels omost to the floor when running. When vehicle is off there hard.

Going crazy here i know it has a.b.s. but there is no a.b.s light on it seems to me more of an hydraulic problem?

Has anyone else ran into this? Is my next step changing out the Master cylinder? Does the vehicle have a brake proportioning valve and could that be it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated im going crazy over here!!!!!!:mad:

Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IF you push the pedal down with the engine running does the pedal get stiff? AKA does it hold pressure? Or if you push the pedal down and hold it there will it slowly reduce pressure and you can push it down more?

If it does not leak it sounds like the fluid is getting pushed around the seals in the master cylinder. However, the effects of a small leak will be multiplied through the system just like the force being multiplied from the master cylinder to the calipers.

Run the engine in your driveway and pump the brakes a bunch and check under the car for leaks and inspect everything you can get to. Still no leak the master cyl in a safe bet.

Thanx for the reply.
It does not go all the way to the floor but close. It does stop but the pedal is defiantly not where it is suppose to be. If i pump them to brake it does improve. I checked after i installed all the new brakes but on your advice i will check again for leaks. Im pretty sure that's not the case thou because the fluid in the reservoir is NOT getting low. Aslo stummped as to why it would have the read out brake fluid low?

The brake booster adds a fair amount of force when you push the pedal, it may take this much to force the fluid past the master cylinder seals which could explain the difference when the engine is running or not. That's the only connection between engine and brake system.

I know my master cylinder is towards the end of its life because I can feel a little "grittiness" in the brake pedal, which is a sign the seals are going bad. Last time I checked they go for about $90 for a remanufactured unit.

There could be a blister on one of your brake lines. Never had one so I don't know exactly what it would look like but I suspect that would show similar symptoms. You could probably just squeeze them and feel for soft spots.

Back