low idle hard starts and other stuff | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

low idle hard starts and other stuff

aelli614

Reaction score
City, State
houston texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford explorer
So at somepoint last week my 95 became hard to start. Would run for a sec or two but the RPMs were about 500. After a few cranks it will start and run but i have to rev it for a few to get to run smooth.

Same applies when I''m at idle at a light. Have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from falling dead.

Lastly maybe once a day i notice power loss when under acceleration. IE cant get enough power to go past 35.

Today loud backfire out the exhaust.

No CEL.

Plan tomorrow is to 1.check the plugs and 2. Change the fuel filter. 3. Hopefully get it to start and run and get the computer scanned.

Is there anything else I should check?

I'd get the codes read, even though there isn't a CEL on you may have some stored codes.

Couple things that come to mind are:

1) Vacuum Leak
2) MAF dirty/faulty

Definitely get it scanned pizza see if anything is stored.

The vacuum diagram should be on a sticker under your hood, pay special attention to the 'octopus' between the egr valve/dpfe sensor/manifold. Also there's a line on that octopus that crosses over above the egr valve at an angle to the battery, which doesn't have a ton of slack. Check to make sure that didn't come uncoupled.

A quick spritz with some carb cleaner can help you find a vacuum leak, but from your symptoms I suspect if it's vacuum related it should be pretty obvious.

thanks ill check that out

Back