Low Oil Pressure

Kiwifrog

Reaction score
City, State
Auckland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.6L V8 Ltd
Hi All,
I have a 2002 non mod Australian build v8 Limited Ford Explorer. It's done about 130,000km (80,000miles). I took it in for a service and received it back to day. Everything appears to be working fine, however I noticed that when I turn the key to the on position and leave it for a few seconds it indicates 'LOW OIL PRESSURE'. This is before I turn the engine over to start it. Once turned over the message disappears and everything appears to be working fine - and by that I mean I run a diagnostic while it's running using the Explores standard diagnostic feature and it tells me oil pressure etc is OK. I have been driving it a little and there are no signs what so ever of low oil pressure either. All gauges while the engine is running are sitting at normal position. I'm not sure I've noticed this message before - I only mention it because the mechanics mentioned it. My question is whether it's normal to see the 'LOW OIL PRESSURE' message before the engine turns over? Logic says yes, but it's somewhat sating the obvious so seems a bit odd. Thanks in advance :)

Unless your vehicle has some sort of means of providing oil pressure when the engine is NOT running, a "low oil pressure" message when the engine is NOT running is perfectly normal. If the light comes on when the ignition is "ON" but the engine is not running, then the light is an indication that the warning circuit is functioning properly if the light goes out when the engine is started.

Thanks very much for that. Yes I though that might be the case but it's really helpful to hear it from other users experience as well to confirm everything is ok. It has probably always been the case that it has come on as described, however I have never noticed it until the mechanic pointed it out (you'd think they would know these things anyway and comment more appropriately!). Certainly, everything is running fine so thanks for putting my mind at ease :)

giphy.gif

Back