• Register Today It's free!

Low Quality Gas & CEL

HVJ

Reaction score
City, State
TJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' XLT
Hello Everybody, I'm new here, I just bought my 97 XLT explorer a month ago, and I'm trying to learn everything I can...this is agreat site!

on ther hand, this is my issue:

I live in Tijuana, and I use to fill gasoline here, but this weekend I went to San Diego and had a chande to fill it up with Chevron premium at 1.87 gl.

I quickly noticed the difference, the engine felt stronger, reaching higher revolutions than with TJ's gas.

This monday morning when I was driving to work, I noticed that by the first time since I bought my EX, the Check engine light was on...I started to worried, but I started to read on the forum several issues and I came to the conclusion that the CEL may be caused by the change in Gas, or some gas pressure change...can this be possible??

Can it be solved re-starting the car computer, so it can re-learn the new values for the higher quality gas..

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!

I would not run premium gas in a truck not programmed for it. 89 is ok, but I would not run 91+ unless you have a specially programmed chip or other special modifications. It is possible the gas in Mexico doesn't have the good additives we have in the States.

The CEL could be caused by anything. If the light permanently goes away after resetting it, then don't worry about it. However, if it returns you should get the codes checked. Some auto parts stores such as Autozone will do this for free.

Did the gas cap get put on correctly? Was it filled while the engine was running? Those can cause the light to go off. And stop paying extra for premium. In the long run it will hurt your engine (unless you have a chip as previously mentioned).

Thank you for the advices..I'll check the options you gave me..

As I previously mentioned, the US gas could be better and have more additives. These detergents could be the reason your truck ran better, not the octane rating.

I recommend a bottle of fuel system cleaner every 3-5000 miles.

Back