Lower rear control arm bushings. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower rear control arm bushings.

eddiev8NZ

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi guys, I am hoping this is an easy one for you all. I have to replace lower control arm bushings on my 2005. I have ordered the parts from Rockauto and they are on the way here.
I understand the best option is to replace the whole arm, but with the weight and freight cost to NZ this works out to be over $800 per side, an option that is not really available to me.
So I have to go the bushing route. I have searched the threads but can't seem to find someone that has actually done it. I haven't pulled it all apart yet so may be able to answer these questions myself in time, but trying to get as much information in advance to be prepared.
1. The two inner rear bushings appear to be rubber with no external metal sleeve. Is there a metal sleeve from the old bushing that needs to remain in the arm, or do they just press into the arm itself. Either way, is dish-wash soap the best lubricant, or shove em in dry?
45G11160_Primary__ra_p.jpg

2. The outer cross axis bushing. This does have a metal sleeve. Do I use a lubricant for this, like grease or oil, or press it in dry.
TD5764WA__ra_p.jpg

Hopefully someone can answer this off the top of their head.

Many thanks for any replies or assistance.

Hi, again, please does anyone have an idea about these non-metal shelled bushings? Is there a shell on the original bushing that needs to stay in place, or does this just press into the arm itself?
Any ideas or pointers before I pull the arm off would be appreciated?

Thanks

Back