• Register Today It's free!

Lowering blocks

Extendedcab

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xlt 5.0
need help can i buy a kit for a ford ranger to lower the back end of my explorer? What size u bolts do i need if i buy a 3 inch block?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

U bolts for a Ranger axle won't fit your axle, they are a smaller diameter. You will need 3.25" diameter u bolts.

U bolts for a Ranger axle won't fit your axle, they are a smaller diameter. You will need 3.25" diameter u bolts.
Ok. So how long of a u bolt would i need for 3 inch blocks??

No idea. I don't have an Explorer. You could go measure the ones that are on there, then add three inches...

I thought blocks raise not lower on the X?

I thought blocks raise not lower on the X?
Explorers are spring under axle. Putting a block in drops them. It’d lift a Ranger. I ran 2 inch blocks in a previous Explorer. Coupled with smaller tires, it handled pretty good.

Thanks for the info but how bad or good would it ride if i were to remove a leaf? Heard about it never teied it before whats your take on that

I’m not sure if you can remove any leaves, other than the overload. The Explorer tears are soft enough, I wouldn’t want to soften them further. The leaves usually end up near flat as it is.

I’m not sure if you can remove any leaves, other than the overload. The Explorer tears are soft enough, I wouldn’t want to soften them further. The leaves usually end up near flat as it is.
Thanks for the advice. I found some extended u bolts that i think they may work for 3 inch blocks its all the same measurements except the length. The original u bolts length is supposedly 6 3/4” and the ones i might order are 10 1/2 so which mean i should be good right??
I haven’t measured my u bolts its just from some research i did and thats what came up but im assuming that should be it. Ill be measuring them this Sunday hoping everything is good and ill be able to order them then.

Sure. They often come out a little too long, and the excess can be zipped off with a cutoff wheel.

You will 3.25 X 8 u blots. Summit carries them. I just took off a 2 inch lowering blocks off my Mountaineer. I do have brand new u bolts you would need still in the packaging. Ordered them instead of stock u bolts.

You will 3.25 X 8 u blots. Summit carries them. I just took off a 2 inch lowering blocks off my Mountaineer. I do have brand new u bolts you would need still in the packaging. Ordered them instead of stock u bolts.
Where you located at?? Im in dallas tx

Back