Lowering sound of aftermarket exhaust inside cab | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering sound of aftermarket exhaust inside cab

pballernyc

Reaction score
City, State
staten island, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 V8 XLT
I installed a Flowmaster muffler/exhaust in my 2002 V8 explorer. It sounds great on the outside, but it gets quite defenying at times inside the cab. I just want to know if there's a way to lower the sound inside the cab of the explorer from the Delta Flowmaster exhaust/Muffler

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could always DynaMat the floor or put on a resonator.

is it a 40 series or a 50 series? delta or non-delta? either way, all you need to do is get a "resonator". basically, buy a short glasspack muffler the same size as your tubing and have it welded in after the muffler.

Sorry for taking over your thread but what exactly does a resonator do? Does it lower the sound just inside the cab or inside and outside? Basically does it make the muffler more quiet?

And does it just install after the muffler?

I put reasonators (dual exhst) on a Gibson muffler and it didnt reduce the interior resonance by much. (96 V6 X)
For a "loud" muffler the Flowmaster 70 series is probably one of the quietest. Dont know about Midas.
I have been happy with just keeping the stock muffler, removing the reasonator and adding duals on the Mtneer.

Back