• Register Today It's free!

Lucas Oil stabilizer?

Chris Rambo

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Has anyone ever used this and would they recomend using it? My 5.0 uses or burns(not leaks) about 1 qt. between changes. I use mobil 1 oil and have been for the last 30,000 miles, with 118,000 on the odo. The oil consumption did not change when switched to fully synthetic. Maybe Lucas oil stabilizer would help, or maybe I have been watching too many races on tv sponsored by Lucas. So, like the bottle states,is oil alone enough?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the past on a few vehicles that burned and/or leaked oil... worked great.

That said, many engine oil manufacturers (if not all) say don't add any engine oil additive -- ie: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Using_Oil_Stabilizers.aspx

Your call. It's worked for me, but it's about $8-$10 per bottle here at Walmart even. Mobil 1 is about $6/bottle. If you're using 1 quart... well, up to you :). Lot of people love it (myself included), lot of people say avoid it like a plague.

i have never used that stuff, but i doubt it would help. i have seen some stuff that is made to help reduce oil consuption tho. its supposed to help keep the seal around the piston rings better and help rejuvenate the rubber seals around the valves and all that. i was under the impression the purpose of the oil stabilizer was to prevent the oil from breaking down from heat, which is why you need to change your oil, not so much because it is getting dirty but because the oil is breaking down and loosing its ability to reduce friction. sounds like youre buring alot of oil tho, might as well try whatever you can find.

My dad uses it in his 02 Sierra, and swears by it. He just uses cheap conventional oil and changes it every 2k, replaces 1 qt of oil with the stabilizer. I've never tried it myself, but since I don't drive like an old man, and I wheel my rig, I use a good full synth and change it at like 1500k/1 month, since I'm mostly in town stop and go driving/off road. I'd say its worth a shot, if you don't like it at the end of 2k miles then don't use it anymore. You're only out what like 6 bucks?

Instead of spending money on an oil stabilizer, switch to the next highest viscosity oil. The oil stabilizer does effectively the same thing. If you're running a 5W oil, switch to a 10W oil.

Instead of spending money on an oil stabilizer, switch to the next highest viscosity oil. The oil stabilizer does effectively the same thing. If you're running a 5W oil, switch to a 10W oil.

That too, I think the stabilizer doesn't make it thicker, like viscosity, bit it makes it "clingier" to use a technical term, lol.

I tried it when I was troubleshooting another issue I had (sort of a pingy/sticky lifter sound). Didn't do anything for me. I don't use much oil at all so I can't comment on that front.

The only thing that should be in your crankcase is engine oil.

I tried the stuff, started hearing my TC rattle slightly under load before the engine was completely warmed up. Three oil changes later the bottle was empty.
My last oil change was just Castrol 10W-30 with no additives.
The TC has been silent ever since. I still can't believe it, but I think that stuff is to thick and might not let the tensioner move freely before the engine was completely up to operating temp.
It's the only thing I can thing of that caused that to happen.

I was thinking of switching to 10W. Prob will when the temps warm up...its cold down here in houston

Has anyone ever used this and would they recomend using it? My 5.0 uses or burns(not leaks) about 1 qt. between changes. I use mobil 1 oil and have been for the last 30,000 miles, with 118,000 on the odo. The oil consumption did not change when switched to fully synthetic. Maybe Lucas oil stabilizer would help, or maybe I have been watching too many races on tv sponsored by Lucas. So, like the bottle states,is oil alone enough?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Back