Lund Racing Tune Issue/Concern/Recommendation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lund Racing Tune Issue/Concern/Recommendation

JDookie

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I just received and installed the Lund Racing tunes a couple days ago, and am noticing a couple things that I'm not sure about. First, let me just say that this is not by any means intended to be a bash session against Lund Racing. I am VERY happy with the overall performance gains, and driveability of these tunes, I am just trying to see if my issues and concerns are being experienced by anyone else, and trying to find out if they should even be concerns at all before I contact Lund Racing about any of this.

First up is Reverse. I am noticing that if I switch to Reverse and try to back up instantly without giving it a few seconds to "adjust" the car will stutter real bad, and in some cases won't move at all. I actually went to back out of parking space today, and switched to Reverse right after I started the engine, and tried to immediately back up just like I've done without issue for the past four months, and the car wouldn't move at all. It just sat there stumbling on itself not matter how much throttle I gave it. I had to go back to Neutral, wait a second, go back to Reverse, wait a second, and then everything was finally normal. This actually happens about a 1 out of every four times I try to back up, and it's extremely annoying.

Next is shifting. Under full WOT acceleration, I am noticing an extremely hard/fast shift, almost feeling instant with a very hard metal to metal *bang* during gear change. I never thought a transmission could shift *too* fast, but I am thinking this one might be. I am also noticing that during normal driving, if I accelerate to merge into freeway traffic or something bringing up the rpm's, and then quickly letting off the throttle, the transmission will give the same bang when it shifts. Now, even though I think it's amazing, and I love it from a racing perspective, is this healthy for the transmission and the associated components?

I have noticed all of this in both, the 91 octane and the 93 octane daily driver tunes. I haven't tried the SS tune yet, but I can only assume its at least the same or worse, which is fine though because the SS tune is *supposed* to be extreme, so all of this would almost be expected, which brings me to my next point.

What would I like Lund to do about this??

Well, in my opinion, I am thinking that I could do completely without the 91 octane tune all together. For my "personal" use, 93 octane fuel is readily available with no issue, and if I travel, I plan on returning the car back to stock anyway, so fuel won't be a concern. What I'd like to see in place of the 91 octane tune is a more mild 93 octane daily driver tune maybe keeping all the engine mods, but taming down the transmission mods. I don't need a race car shift during a 1-hour commute to work, and I could even live with more torque management, which I'm sure is the cause of the Reverse issue. This "mild" 93 octane tune would be for when my wife uses the car all week, and the current 93 octane and SS tunes will be for me on the weekends.

What is everyone's thoughts on all of this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you discussed this directly with Ken from Lund?

Not yet, as I mentioned, I'm trying to see if anyone else is experiencing these things first. I know at least one other person is because I saw a post asking about the reverse stutter in another thread. I also figured it would help Ken by concentrating all of this feedback in one thread for him to read as I know he frequents this forum which is why I went with his product in the first place.

Actually, I said that I haven't discussed it with Ken directly, but I did send him an email requesting a modified 93 DD tune, I just haven't heard back from him yet. No big deal though, after all, it *is* the weekend.

Not yet, as I mentioned, I'm trying to see if anyone else is experiencing these things first. I know at least one other person is because I saw a post asking about the reverse stutter in another thread. I also figured it would help Ken by concentrating all of this feedback in one thread for him to read as I know he frequents this forum which is why I went with his product in the first place.

Actually, I said that I haven't discussed it with Ken directly, but I did send him an email requesting a modified 93 DD tune, I just haven't heard back from him yet. No big deal though, after all, it *is* the weekend.

keep us updated on the outcome please.

second that; keep us updated; I want to know if this is easily remedied.

I spoke with Ken briefly via email yesterday, and he said that he was going to have an update out today that's supposed to address these issues, but that hasn't happened yet that I know of.

Guys (and gals), if you are having any issues at all with the Lund tunes, please post them in this thread so that Ken can easily see what to address in future updates. If he doesn't know about the issue(s) then they will never get addressed.

I, for one, have noticed that in addition to the issues I pointed out in the original post, that the stutter isn't only in Reverse. Now that the tune has been installed for about 5 days now, and should be good and settled in, I am noticing that when I cold start the car, the idle is very rough and takes a couple seconds to even itself out, and if I try to put the car in gear (Drive or Reverse) too quickly, it stumbles all over itself forcing me to go back to Park or Neutral and wait until the idle smooths out, and then I can proceed with going into gear. When I remote start the car in the morning, I can actually hear the engine idling rough, and then like a switch, it just evens itself out after a few seconds. I actually had to stop in the middle of my street this morning because I tried to pull off too fast without letting it "warm up" and the car was stuttering and felt like it wanted to kill.

I'm going to have to disagree with posting them here. Open a ticket with LundRacing and let them know there. I really feel that is the proper area to address any issues or problems myself.

I'm going to have to disagree with posting them here. Open a ticket with LundRacing and let them know there. I really feel that is the proper area to address any issues or problems myself.

Already done that. This is just a place to openly discuss the issues.....unless there is any reason why discussing the issues shouldn't be made public?? That's kind of almost like saying we shouldn't discuss any issues with our vehicles at all, and should keep our issues/problems strictly between us and Ford. I think most can say that they have learned a lot from reading about other peoples' experiences whether they be positive or negative, at least I know that I have.

I spoke with Ken briefly via email yesterday, and he said that he was going to have an update out today that's supposed to address these issues, but that hasn't happened yet that I know of.

Guys (and gals), if you are having any issues at all with the Lund tunes, please post them in this thread so that Ken can easily see what to address in future updates. If he doesn't know about the issue(s) then they will never get addressed.

I, for one, have noticed that in addition to the issues I pointed out in the original post, that the stutter isn't only in Reverse. Now that the tune has been installed for about 5 days now, and should be good and settled in, I am noticing that when I cold start the car, the idle is very rough and takes a couple seconds to even itself out, and if I try to put the car in gear (Drive or Reverse) too quickly, it stumbles all over itself forcing me to go back to Park or Neutral and wait until the idle smooths out, and then I can proceed with going into gear. When I remote start the car in the morning, I can actually hear the engine idling rough, and then like a switch, it just evens itself out after a few seconds. I actually had to stop in the middle of my street this morning because I tried to pull off too fast without letting it "warm up" and the car was stuttering and felt like it wanted to kill.

this is not just the Lund tune - my bone stock Sport does this. I got in it this morning to go to work and it idled rough. I don't think it's a big deal though, I just remote start as I am walking to it and by the time I get in and get the seatbelt on, it's all good.

this is not just the Lund tune - my bone stock Sport does this. I got in it this morning to go to work and it idled rough. I don't think it's a big deal though, I just remote start as I am walking to it and by the time I get in and get the seatbelt on, it's all good.

And this is exactly why I think it's a good idea that we discuss any perceived issues.

Fortunately, my Sport doesn't idle rough at all without the tune in. If I put it back to stock, the idle issue is completely gone, but this makes me wonder if perhaps the tune is just "enhancing" an existing issue with the stock Ford tune, and it's just worse in some vehicles than others.

77rednecktruck, if you try to go into gear during this rough idle period, does your car stutter real bad, acting like it wants to kill, and won't move?

I agree that discussing these kind of issues in open is good for the community. I've learned a tremendous amount by reading. Now if Ford can just get their act together and actually deliver my Sport, I'll be able to weigh in on these conversations.

def a good idea to share any and all concerns. you never know which is "make/model" related or someone got a lemon, or what have you. Please keep sharing! My Sport arrives next week!

I was the one that posted the cold start stuttering in reverse. I've had 2 other issues that I've mentioned to Ken. I've had the car go from 1st gear on hard acceleration to the rev limiter and not shift, it just kept bouncing off the rev limiter. the other issue was a had loud clunk from first to second on hard acceleration. All of the above was in 93 DD. Ken said they would be addressed in the revision he's sending out hopefully this week. I'm taking it easy on the car until then. Once the issues are ironed out I'll try the SS. Overall the tune is a vast improvement to stock in all other areas and Ill never be happy with stock, I just don't want to break my car.

I was the one that posted the cold start stuttering in reverse. I've had 2 other issues that I've mentioned to Ken. I've had the car go from 1st gear on hard acceleration to the rev limiter and not shift, it just kept bouncing off the rev limiter. the other issue was a had loud clunk from first to second on hard acceleration. All of the above was in 93 DD. Ken said they would be addressed in the revision he's sending out hopefully this week. I'm taking it easy on the car until then. Once the issues are ironed out I'll try the SS. Overall the tune is a vast improvement to stock in all other areas and Ill never be happy with stock, I just don't want to break my car.

I felt like I was just reading my own thoughts just now. I am experiencing the *exact* same things. Rough idle on cold startups, loud bang during the 1-2 shift, etc. He (Ken) sent me an email this morning, and said that the update should definitely be out today. Like you, I haven't tried the SS tune yet in fear of breaking something. As it is, when I heard the bang during the shift I just knew that it had to take some life off the transmission, and haven't driven it that hard since.

And this is exactly why I think it's a good idea that we discuss any perceived issues.

Fortunately, my Sport doesn't idle rough at all without the tune in. If I put it back to stock, the idle issue is completely gone, but this makes me wonder if perhaps the tune is just "enhancing" an existing issue with the stock Ford tune, and it's just worse in some vehicles than others.

77rednecktruck, if you try to go into gear during this rough idle period, does your car stutter real bad, acting like it wants to kill, and won't move?

Mine did stutter real bad and almost didn't make it out of my driveway which is sloped pretty good. I just let it sit there for a minute or so and then it's all good.

Did Ken say to either of you that he'd be posting some info in this thread?

For anyone that didn't know already, Lund pushed out an update today. I haven't loaded mine up yet to see if there are any differences but hopefully this will help you out with few of your problems.

For anyone that didn't know already, Lund pushed out an update today. I haven't loaded mine up yet to see if there are any differences but hopefully this will help you out with few of your problems.

Ryan, are you experiencing any of this?

Thanks
Art

I am having surging/stuttering issues in both drive and reverse. The drive is much different then explained on here and not sure if it's a totally different problem but I've been talking to ken about it.

The clunky shifting has always been there even when stock, it's really a ford issue that I've been talking to ken about to see if we can get any fixes. It clunks the works at low throttle inputs, like when you are almost idling along and it *****. WOT shifts aren't really an issue for me, rough downshifts is the price you pay if you want the power to come on quick, which i do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back