Major concern/issue with 2014 ford explorer sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major concern/issue with 2014 ford explorer sport

throttle position sensor or pedal sending unit?

I had an overly sensitive gas pedal on my 07 Toyota Tundra. Bought and installed an updated pedal. All fixed in 5 min.

Not saying that is the issue but don't over look it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't tell you what it is, but I'd highly suggest you/the dealer pull the spark plugs, and check/adjust all the gaps.

I know I had issues with this stuttering in mine initially and wasn't sure if it was condensation or spark blow out. After a few revisions on my tune and gapping my plugs down I haven't had any issues, but it's been cold here.

When I was getting the stuttering/stalling it was when it was warmer with higher relative humidity so waiting to see if it returns this spring/summer.

There is a 76 station that sells 110 octane racing fuel :) but won't dare try that!

All - I just filed a complaint with on the NHTSA website. My complaint # 10576912 will be available to view withing 72 hours. I want to make sure enough attention is brought to this as I view it as a serious concern that can kill someone or a family....especially since I have 2 small girls. I've just been lucky this entire time that no cars we coming up behind me when changing lanes and that I was able to make the lane cutoff before it went from 2 to 1 lane and not had a accident with the other vehicle.

Safety is of utmost importance. If you feel it is that big of an issue, then you should stop driving the vehicle until it is resolved.

CobraJohn your right...I really should....Also you guys mentioned the spark plug gaps...I don't believe it's this, because if it was it would happen a lot more often right? This has happened 4 times in about 2000 miles. Not saying it's not that, but I would think it would occur more. I will for sure mention this to the shop.

...I'm glad they were professional and on it so far. Next step is to see how long this takes to resolve and how professional Ford remains during the entire process :) Then I will know for sure if I made the right decision to switch :)

Keep me posted as well, MikeDs. I'm always just a PM away if you need me to step in and assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

MikeDs: If you have not, you should Google "Ford Ecoboost lawsuit" You will find numerous reports of similar motor power loss, stumbling, etc. apparently from moisture build up in the turbo intercooler.......best regards Plum

Hi Crystal...thanks for reaching out....I'll stay in touch.

Plum....ya I've looked into that and have spoken to the dealers service manager...he said that the moisture in the intercooler was happening in places where it is very humid or extreme cold temps...since I'm in the Central Valley in California, I really don't have either of those issues....and the problem has happened in the day and night......so silly how people jump on a band wagon and sue Ford for something they are working to correct.....The good part was that the service manager did say he will look at that just in case.

05-09 Mustangs had an issue when driving on the highway for an extended period of time at a relatively constant throttle causing some kind of cavitation in the fuel pump or other phenomenon that would cause the vehicle to act like you described momentarily.

This occurred to my 07 Roush often. Once the TSB or non TSB action was discovered by Ford they promptly put a new fuel pump on and I never had that issue reappear.

Mike, once this happened on the highway to your vehicle, would it repeat itself soon afterward? I would assume not if it is the same issue I had. It never happened to me when city driving. I think once you clear out that fuel pump of that cavitation bubble, etc, it would be fine for awhile.

My situation would happen after I drove with the cruise on for over 30 minutes...Get off the exit...Stop...Then accelerate like I never knew how to drive a 5 speed before for a few seconds-galloping-running like chit... Almost stall...After that...Ran like a champ again.

[MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] [MENTION=1095]FORD[/MENTION] REALLY FORD!!! I HAVE 3500 MILES ON MY VEHICLE...I HAVE 2 DAUGHTERS TO TAKE TO SCHOOL TMRW AND YOU CAN'T PROVIDE A RENTAL CAR FOR 1 DAY!! The dealership doesn't have loaners (should be a requirement), and not willing to give me a rental cause I didn't buy a SERVICE PLAN! SERIOUSLY FORD??!!! I called corporate and they are unwilling to help.

-DISAPPOINTED

[MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] [MENTION=1095]FORD[/MENTION] REALLY FORD!!! I HAVE 3500 MILES ON MY VEHICLE...I HAVE 2 DAUGHTERS TO TAKE TO SCHOOL TMRW AND YOU CAN'T PROVIDE A RENTAL CAR FOR 1 DAY!! The dealership doesn't have loaners (should be a requirement), and not willing to give me a rental cause I didn't buy a SERVICE PLAN! SERIOUSLY FORD??!!! I called corporate and they are unwilling to help.

-DISAPPOINTED
I doubt that many dealers have loaners since Ford isn't required to provide them as per the Warranty Guide. The ESP will provide for a rental as the dealer pointed out and every buyer has/had the option to purchase the plan. I can understand your frustration in this situation but really the dealer and Ford are just following procedure. Now from a customer service standpoint, well.....????

Peter

-DISAPPOINTED

Hi MikeDs,

I want to do what I can to help. Check out your inbox; you have a PM from me waiting for you. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Update - After calling the dealership back and asking to speak with the owner (It's a small family owned place) BEST PLACE TO BUY!! He was fine with getting me a rental car for the day! I'm very pleased that they are working with me and I'm glad they are working on taking care of this problem.
I will update everyone in a couple days when I get the vehicle back and if they found the problem.

Hey guys,
this is a very well know issue with all ECOBOOST vehicles that came out since 2012.
Even the Rnage Rover EVOQUE had the exact same problem, and it was fixed in all Ford F-150 Ecoboost and Range Rovers in 2013.

The problem was a sensor in the inter cooler, that sensed water condensation in the turbo and restricted the engine performance.
I am VERY VERY surprised that the 2014 is showing the same problem, as FORD knows it well and was supposed to have it fixed before 2014 was actually out.

I am interested in knowing more about this, as FORD Explorer Sport will be my next car in 2015!
Cheers
LCL

I'd be curious to see if that same issue arises in my new vehicle.
FYI, it appears the 2016 model Explorers will be a 'redesign'.

Peter

OP, I doubt this is the issue, but since the dealership hasn't found the issue and this is a 2014. Do you by any chance drive with two feet? On occasion, this may kill throttle for few seconds.

OP, I doubt this is the issue, but since the dealership hasn't found the issue and this is a 2014. Do you by any chance drive with two feet? On occasion, this may kill throttle for few seconds.

I heard that SOME Ecoboost engines out there (2014) did not have the intercooler plate redesigned and these are the ones having the issues! WEIRD!

That is also a know issue, or maybe just a safety feature, which when the computer senses that both the accelerator and break has been touched at the same time when applying power, it will not let you actually accelerate for about 3 seconds (which is A LOT) when you want to get going FAST on a busy NYC intersection! By the way, it happened to me many times with a Range Rover Evoque 2012 (Kinda FORD made engine tech).

Cheers guys,
Thanks for the updates.
LCL

Any updates with your X ?

****UPDATE*****

As of today my '14 Explorer Sport is still at the dealership. It has now been 19 days and counting. On Friday April 25th I received a call from a gentleman by the name of Jeff who is a Regional manager at Ford Corporate. I spoke to him about my concerns and he mentioned what they were working on. This is the 2nd call I have had with him. He seemed to be more concerned in another part that they say is also another issue than for the major issue I brought it in for and I made them aware of it.
I told him I would like to see efforts being directed toward the main issue with is the stalling issue. HOWEVER when I took it in I told them that the fan for either the motor or the transmission cooler would squeal for about 5 seconds or so after turning off the car. It made it sound like a cheap piece of junk and embarrassing when around people in a parking lot.
So now they have concentrated on this fan and say they CANNOT find it anywhere in the nation as everyone including warehouses are out of inventory for that part. He did state that there was a design flaw with the fan on the '14 explorer and it is being redesigned , however there is NO time line as to when the redesign will be completed and when the part will ship.
So again I mentioned to him that I would like my main issue resolved. They said they are going to try and get me a VDR to recorder all data while I drive until it happens again, but he cannot promise this. I reiterated that I appreciate that they are working on fixing everything, but hopefully I will have a safe/sound car for my cross country road trip that starts May 24.

So far Ford is doing a good job at trying to tackle the problem, I won't lie though I miss my car :). Hopefully I can update everyone again soon with a positive update.....

STAY TUNED!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's your build date?

I wonder if mine needs a new fan then?

mine was built Dec 5th 2013

Back